Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Picoso
Posted By: metroeloise, 02-22-2009, 05:16 AM

I am just trying out my new k100d in a club setting. Tonight I used a 1.4 rear converter on a 28-75mm 2.8 for all of the shots. No flash. Had to MF, of course. The shots are all a bit soft because of the converter. Tomorrow I will take it out in the bright day and see how it does with that.

The VF us much brighter than my k20d. The pictures are also much better considering that they are all MF and my keeper rate on the k20d. Looking forward to getting it back!

Views: 1,725
02-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice set, I like the third shot, the light is so sculptural and honours that face!
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice set, I like the third shot, the light is so sculptural and honours that face!
Yes that one worked well. Thank you.
02-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
I am just trying out my new k100d in a club setting. Tonight I used a 1.4 rear converter on a 28-75mm 2.8 for all of the shots. No flash. Had to MF, of course. The shots are all a bit soft because of the converter. Tomorrow I will take it out in the bright day and see how it does with that.

The VF us much brighter than my k20d. The pictures are also much better considering that they are all MF and my keeper rate on the k20d. Looking forward to getting it back!

These are my faves... I had a question, you said your VF is brighter than your K20 VF, I had not noticed that with my K100 vs k20, actually seems the other way with mine.

Also I was wondering about the use of the converter. With the light loss of the conv, would it not be better in these darker conditions to use just the lens and then crop to get closer? I just wondered.

I am going to shoot my friends band in a week and never even thought to try the 1.4x converter...

thanks

02-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
These are my faves... I had a question, you said your VF is brighter than your K20 VF, I had not noticed that with my K100 vs k20, actually seems the other way with mine.

Also I was wondering about the use of the converter. With the light loss of the conv, would it not be better in these darker conditions to use just the lens and then crop to get closer? I just wondered.

I am going to shoot my friends band in a week and never even thought to try the 1.4x converter...

thanks
Thanks! Well the whole point with my K20D is that it is an ailing unit. Sad part is that it was that ways from the very beginning. (QC guys ) And since I didn't know I struggled with it until I got the focusing issue nailed down. I figured the other stuff and in many of my posts I mentioned those other issues, dark VF for example.

Then luck would get an under $300 refurbed k100d into my life, Little Brother. All my lenses work not! No real focusing issues. It meters correctly. It is more consistent in WB. The VF is Miles Brighter; Miles. It is easier to MF because of that, in fact a pleasure.

Now, as for my use of the 1.4x in a show... It was an experiment. Most of the time, at this club, I can walk onto stage and snap from right there. I really don't have to consider frame up that ways... I don't like bugging people so I don't do it often or for long. Most of the time I walk on to get those angles too hard to get from the floor and to get from the stage images of the audience. The band, the club owner, the visitors to my site love those.

I wanted to stress the k100d. The Set on my Flickr has about a 60% keeper rate for "better than snaps" or Good enough to serve as a chronicle. Not bad.

If the sun comes out I'll snap some more with the converter on all the different lenses and see the difference.

Those were my thoughts; thanks for sharing yours.