Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Factory
Posted By: mickey, 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Took these today.
All iso 400 with the 18-55 kit lens. K10D.
Should be noted that these were all handheld.
The story was, that I was meeting a few friends to go there. I didn't have a tripod with me as I expected we'd have to climb a few walls to get access, so I wanted to be light as possible.
We didn't end up getting there til about 5:20 pm, and it took some walking. This time of year, it will get dark in Japan around 6pm.
As it happens, the SR did well for long exposures, with the images being this size.
I used what support I could at times.

1. 0.5s f3.5
2. 0.3s f 4
3. 0.7s f4
4. 2s f4

Last edited by mickey; 04-27-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Views: 2,235
02-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
5. 0.7s f4
6. 1s f4
7. 0.7s f3.5
8. 1s f3.5

Last edited by mickey; 04-11-2009 at 05:47 AM.
02-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice set, for my eyes the second shot is the best, it has good compositions and interesting angle. Some of you photos might benefit from further sharpening?
02-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You make the nightscenery photography an easy job. Well done to capture the sentiment of the night

02-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

#2 is my favorite! Looks so grand!

(I see by your avatar that you are a fan of the trailer park boys! I didn't know they were popular in Japan!)

Pat
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I didn't have a tripod with me as I expected we'd have to climb a few walls to get access, so I wanted to be light as possible.
You do know that you risk:

1. Imprisonment (with forced labor) up to 3 years
2. Up to 100,000 yen fine
3. Deportation
4. Being barred from future entry to Japan

by trespassing, don't you?

The applicable section of the Japanese Penal Code:
(住居侵入等)
第130条 正当な理由がないのに、人の住居若しくは人の看守する邸宅、建造物若しくは艦船に侵入し、又は要求を受けたにもかかわらずこれらの場所から退去しなかった者は、3年以下の懲役又は10万円以下の罰金に処する。

Not trying to be a party pooper or tell you what to do. I just want to make sure you have all the relevant information prior to your actions. If you get busted doing this, now you needn't act surprised when you find out what the penalties are.

(This is the sort of situation where a travel tripod and/or fast primes come in handy).
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

haha POOP...but very good point. I haven't been there yet, but the word among ship's crews and sailors is don't mess with the authorities in Japan.

As far as the images, great subject and good composition, the camera shake makes some of them almost abstract to me (which I like). It should be fun to apply some effects to some of these in PP. I would have stuck a compact monopod in my back pocket and a couple of fast primes in my jacket pockets.

cheers

02-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Not trying to be a party pooper or tell you what to do. I just want to make sure you have all the relevant information prior to your actions. If you get busted doing this, now you needn't act surprised when you find out what the penalties are.
Yeah, we were aware, but as it happened, it wasn't like we expected.
It was on an industrial estate.
There were parts that had security guards that wouldn't let us in, but there were some parts that we could go in.
We even asked a few random workers if we could shoot, and they said yes.
Other parts were on the main road, so there was no need to jump fences..actually, we thought better of it.
It was a one-off, and I do wish I had had the tripod now...
02-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pic 3, 4 and 5 show the feeling of the site....great shots! Re the other comments "being careful", I agree. 10 years ago people would understand you are taking pics....now someone might be up to no good. If you ask, folks might welcome you into parts of the plant you couldn't take shots of otherwise.
02-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Yeah, we were aware, but as it happened, it wasn't like we expected.
It was on an industrial estate.
There were parts that had security guards that wouldn't let us in, but there were some parts that we could go in.
We even asked a few random workers if we could shoot, and they said yes.
Other parts were on the main road, so there was no need to jump fences..actually, we thought better of it.
It was a one-off, and I do wish I had had the tripod now...
Some of my favorite night photos from Tokyo have come from just boldly strolling into clearly marked "ENTRY PROHIBITED" areas like I own the place. Mostly down at the docks, and since I'm down there every day (and wearing clothing identifying me as a truck driver) nobody has ever said a word to me about it. Stroll in big and bold like you own the place and it won't even cross most people's minds that you're somewhere you have no real business being.
02-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #11

nice photo series....I wish I was in Japan to take some photos