Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This shot has been Z'd (1 B+W img)
Posted By: Photochop, 04-01-2007, 10:40 AM

I went for a walk and decided to try using RAW. Can I tell you how much I hate working with RAW! Of course this has a lot to do with the fact that I don't really know much about working with RAW files but for me at this point of my photographic adventures I don't really find RAW to be more beneficial than Jpegs. Perhaps a good book and some reading will change my mind in the future.

Here's a shot of Downtown Toronto with the Zenitar.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/441319410_925f52732c_o.jpg
Views: 1,353
04-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. Love the lens effect. Great B&W conversion, too.
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have an inkling, I think I know what bridge you were on Great shot!
04-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mediaslinky I appreciate your comments.

Alvin, of course you know which bridge it is, if you didn't I'd ask if you were coming down with a fever Thanks for looking and commenting

04-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #5

Lovely shot.

I lust for a fisheye
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

phooshop: i share your opinion about raw
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi V. Great shot. If you have either photoshop or photoshop elements, here is a very good book on raw.
"Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop version _______ " by Bruce Fraser

NaCl(love the B&W conversion too)H2O

04-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Hanamai Whatchya waitin' for? Just get the lens, you know you'll sleep better at night once you have it

Tipentax, so I'm not the only one huh? :ugh:

Salty, thanks for the info! I'll have to go to the local library or bookstore to check it out sometime soon. Thanks for commenting
04-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the effect as well, I've added a fisheye to my list although more for fun than anything.

I've been shooting in RAW for several months now, but since I'm almost nailing the shot right in the camera I'm thinking of starting to shoot JPG's again instead. It's just often too tough downloading pictures to friends computers when your dealing in RAW.
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Can I tell you how much I hate working with RAW!
I hear ya! I guess I haven't moved into that stage as well. I find myself putting it back in RAW but after a few moments at the computer playing, I put it back on J-PEG ***. Also, maybe I did something wrong, but I tested a series in both RAW and J-PEG. My J-PEG versions came out much better, more contrast, sharper, less grain, than anything I could do with the RAW files. Probably me.

Oh, and great shot. You're right - if Alvin didn't know this, I'd think it wasn't him!!!
04-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks little laker The fisheye is definitely a fun lens to use! I think everyone should have one, especially for those time when we feel uninspired, the FE always comes through...for me at least

Thanks Greg Yep, the RAW thing is just too "raw" for my taste and knowledge at this point. Because of my lack of knowledge in that area I find that the pictures are extremely soft, which I understand that is something "pros" crave for so that have more control over the final sharpness but I'm not that good at the sharpening technique yet. And I agree with you, the difference is minimal if any at all, but then again I've seen some outstanding RAW files where the dynamic range is better and the highlights are recovered provided they weren't blown out. I just don't know how to do that! grrrr...

I just like getting home, popping the card into the laptop, sorting through what I like, deleting what I don't and working on them in PS. Easy as 123! Back to Jpeg *** +1 sharpness for me. Now I'm off to frustrate myself some more with HDR
04-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

great shot!

The most useful thing about RAW (to me) is being able to control the alter the white balance easily, as a lot of times I'm shooting in strange light (like those ugly mercury vapor things that light up most towns).

-Dan
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dan!

There are definitely some really neat thing you can do with RAW, I find the exposure setting really handy and easier to work with than levels or curves in PS. As for white balance, coming from a point and shoot, it took me a while to get used to changing it every time the lighting changed but it has now become second nature to me. Besides, I'm a "chimper" I almost always review what I have shot.