Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some B&W conversions from a winter hike
Posted By: deadwolfbones, 02-24-2009, 08:01 AM

All with the kit lens mk II or the 55-300mm. Full images here: deadwolfbones : photos : Aspen Vista Hike + Oscar Night 2-22-09- powered by SmugMug

Views: 1,671
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Cool pics!

We're thinking about starting up some hiking down around Taos. The snow has melted enough down there to make it at least feasible!

Lynn
02-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
Cool pics!

We're thinking about starting up some hiking down around Taos. The snow has melted enough down there to make it at least feasible!

Lynn
Yeah, I hope to get up there soon myself. A friend of mine has a job that takes her up there for a few months each winter/spring, and she gets a nice apartment on the cheap--gets pretty boring being in Taos alone, so she always asks us to come up and visit.
02-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, I hope to get up there soon myself. A friend of mine has a job that takes her up there for a few months each winter/spring, and she gets a nice apartment on the cheap--gets pretty boring being in Taos alone, so she always asks us to come up and visit.
Cool! The trail I've always wanted to hike is a popular one just outside of Taos called the Devisadero:

Carson National Forest - Devisadero Loop Trail 108

I don't know what the views are like from there, but from the lay of the land, it looks like you might get a nice view of the Taos area, including the pueblo.

The shot I've been wanting to play with is actually on your side of Taos, just where the highway comes over the last "hump" into the plain that includes Taos. From there, you can get a pretty good view of the Rio Grande Gorge. A lot of photographers have taken shots from there. The trick is going to be to go over there and wander around for a while to spot the best vantage point.

Lynn

02-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did some shooting around the gorge (at the bridge) when I first got my K100D. What a beautiful bit of scenery.

The only hike I've done around Taos was from the ski basin up to an alpine lake called Williams Lake: taos, nm - Google Maps

Absolutely gorgeous, but really high elevation so pretty exhausting.
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gorge and Williams Lake photos:

02-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #7

Hey, now that's my stompin' ground! We really like the gorge area, and your pictures do justice!

The shot I've been toying with is one that other folks have taken; here's an example from sangres.com

To get shots of the bridge area, I think the best is from a trail that leads away from the backside of the parking area on the west side of the bridge. From there, you can walk forever (it seems) and look back toward the bridge itself. Wikipedia ("Rio Grande Gorge bridge") has a shot of the bridge from that point, methinks.

The mountain stuff -- well, we live in the mountains now, so I'm a little luke warm on it. Spectacular (as are your pics!), but not a place to call home!

Lynn

02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Astounding texture and a great post here.

You could break up all these wonderful images into several posts instead! Too many to go through
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe, yeah... I have a tendency to picturedump in my threads here.

Thanks for the compliments!
02-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the B&W's where there is the smooth snow in close up, and the second set is so nice scenery!
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

great stuff, wow - a very nice collection you've got there.
#2 is my favorite out of all the B&Ws.
02-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
great stuff, wow - a very nice collection you've got there.
#2 is my favorite out of all the B&Ws.
Yeah, I like the odd halo/aura effect the OOF trees have in that one.