Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First roll of BW film I've ever shot/develop
Posted By: SuperAkuma, 02-25-2009, 12:18 AM

These shots where taken with my Pentax ZX-L film camera with Kodak Tri-X 400 film. I've only got to develop the film but have not printed them in the traditional way. I scanned these image last night after I developed them in class yesterday. That was the first time that I've shoot black and white and the first time that I've developed a roll of film.

More of the set can be seen here
Saelee's photos- powered by SmugMug

Developing the first roll was pretty fun. I did it with a group of student that was also working on their first roll. It was kind of scary because I did not want to mess up any of my images. It looks like all of my image came out well. I know some of the student destroyed there first roll. I gotta say, working with film is a lot different than working with digital. The quality of the image is different as well. I finally understand the term when people say "film like look".
Views: 2,588
02-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Strong contrast and texture. The mood are well brought out. I like these two shots in B+W
02-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh my... wonderful work! Love the street scene.

Isn't it fun processing your own film? I never did get around to learning to process colour but I spent hours (and hours and hours... my car got towed one day ) doing black and white. It's a cathartic exercise for sure.
02-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Very good work. I visited your smugmug gallery and you did very well with your first roll and processing.

I remember processing my first roll at Boy Scout camp. I shot a lot of Tri-X and Plus-X that I processed myself. Almost makes me want to pull out the ME and have a go. I still have a developing tank in the basement.

Will

02-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments

roentarre,
It has strong contrast because I adjusted the contrast a little bit with photoshop. On the negative it was a little dull and flat. Since I haven't printed the picture yet I hope I can reproduce the same contrast on film paper when I do print it.

KrisK10d,
Yes it is pretty fun. I think I might make my own dark room at home. I looked at the price of the equipment and it looks like I can get everything for about $200 including the enlarger. I'll see how everything goes after the class. I think I'll just do black and white as well. I'll leave color for my dSLR. To think of it, I don't think I've even touched my K20D since I started the class.

irishinmo,
What's stopping you from pulling out your ME?
The film that I've use this time was the Kodak Tri-X400. I also have some illford hp5 plus that I am working on right now. I wonder if there will be much difference between the two film. When I went to buy the films, those where the only two black and white film that I saw. I didn't see the Plus-X that you mention. I'll keep an eye for that so I can try it out.
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the street shot, it makes the viewer move through the image nicely along the side walk!