Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cosumnes River Preserve (Birds)
Posted By: heliphoto, 03-01-2009, 01:32 AM

Went to the Cosumnes River Preserve today and shot with the Bigma + Kenko 1.5x TC on a tripod (often used as a monopod). The TC definitely degrades image quality, but once in a while I'd get a pretty sharp image out of it. I'd bet not as good as the guy with the D300 and the Nikkor 600mm f/4 VR (I guess I wouldn't mind a $10,000 lens, but how do you ever leave it in your car??? ) I shot at f/8 to sharpen the bigma up a bit and try to minimize CA (though experiments yesterday showed some acceptable results from f/6.7).

CA is present in many of the contrasty sections, and presents itself as a very very narrow band (only a few px thick) of blue/cyan.

I have post processed these photos as well as I could in a couple hours, so you're not seeing RAW output, but rather processed work...

Quite a bit of post work on this first one to recover feather detail while retaining good exposure on the background - and added work in PS killing CA...

EDIT: In an email conversation with Marc L., he better identified a few of these for me, so I'll update the info...

1. Egret (no crop)

2. Black Necked Stilt (no crop) (thanks Marc for the ID)

3. Red-winged Blackbird (no crop)

4. Sandhill Cranes (cropped to 3233X2138)

5. Red-winged Blackbird Female (thanks Heinrich)

6. Great Blue Heron (cropped to 3212x2134)

I'm no bird expert, so feel free to fill me in on names I don't know or correct me on what I got wrong .

Last edited by heliphoto; 03-03-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added exif links; added ID info
Views: 2,388
03-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool shots Josh,

Number two looks like a pied stilt (wader) that you would see migrating across Australia.

I'm so getting a Bigma.
03-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Yes, these are very nice.

JMR
03-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like #2, great shot.

03-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Cool shots Josh,

Number two looks like a pied stilt (wader) that you would see migrating across Australia.

I'm so getting a Bigma.
Thanks Dale... The Bigma's fun for sure, but it makes me want really really expensive glass... must get closer/faster .

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Yes, these are very nice.

JMR
Thank you JMR.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I really like #2, great shot.
Thanks Oren... I shot quite a series of that one - a very photogenic bird. got a couple keepers...

Here's another -
03-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great series, thanks for sharing!
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You sure had Bigma singing a sweet and powerful song, excellent, thanks for sharing.

03-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Egret shot is as good as it gets.
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great series, thanks for sharing!
Thank you Georg.

QuoteOriginally posted by iced Quote
You sure had Bigma singing a sweet and powerful song, excellent, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your poetic praise . I'm glad you enjoyed the shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The Egret shot is as good as it gets.
I'm pretty sure you could get better but thanks! It's really nice to hear that from one of our resident experts ... That egret shot was a lot of post work - I had to make two jpgs out of the RAW file, one with the exposure darkened way down to recover some feather detail, and then recombine them using Enfuse to get the image, some sort of single RAW file HDR shenanigans... I'm sure there's software which can do this sort of manipulation directly to the RAW file, but I don't think I have it. Then there was some CA which needed dealt with and if I were going to print it I'd have to go back in photoshop and do more detail work on that - so anyway, I'm glad it was worth all that .
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice shots Josh thanks for posting them. The second last one I believe is a Red-winged blackbird (female)
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They are very very well captured. Popping image with stark contrast.
03-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice shots Josh thanks for posting them. The second last one I believe is a Red-winged blackbird (female)
Thanks Heinrich - Interesting, not being a birder, I'd have never thought the female would look so different... I'll update the original post.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
They are very very well captured. Popping image with stark contrast.
Thanks James.