Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Butterflies festival
Posted By: bdery, 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM

It's been a REALLY long time since I posted anything. a new job and a thesis to write will do that to you...

This weekend I needed a break, so I went to a butterflies festival we're having here each year. In the worst of winter, a greenhouse is set up and thousands of butterflies take to the sky (or cieling)...

One great thing was that during the time I was there, I saw more DSLRs than compacts, and more Pentax than any other brand. Hard to believe, but there you are. All of us pentaxians kept throwing knowing smiles at one another.

On to the pictures. All shot with the Sigma 17-70 and the Vivitar series 1 70-210. Gotta love those two lenses.

C&C desired and welcomed.

--
bdery

Québec city, Canada

Someone took the time to post images. Why not take the time to comment?

Pentaxian in the making
Pictures by bdery - Photobucket
Views: 1,925
03-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series. I don't want to be critical since I'm far from a professional in this regard, but I'm sure folks might point out that you probably want to focus more on the head/eyes of the butterfly in some of the shots. I know it's hard to catch them still sometimes. I live in a northern suburb of Buffalo NY, so around us we have the Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls, Ontario and in Rochester NY there is a Butterfly house at the Strong Museum of Play (kids museum). I've taken a few at each place and they are wonderful places to go to, albeit a bit crowded sometimes. You really have to watch where you are walking too, the butterflies tend to land on the ground a lot and you don't want to step on them.
03-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful series of a good selection of different butterflies. They all look a bit dark on my monitor though. I'd try doing a bit of level's tweaking to brighten them up a bit. I know in butterfly exhibits it can be a bit dark.
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment, both of you.

QuoteQuote:
you probably want to focus more on the head/eyes of the butterfly in some of the shots. I know it's hard to catch them still sometimes.
You are right that focusing on the "eyes" would be better, AND that it can be hard Especially with an MF lens. Sometimes I felt the wings had more interesting patterns, however.

QuoteQuote:
They all look a bit dark on my monitor though.
I think Photobucket did that. I'll look into it, but they look darker when linked from Photobucket than they do in ACDSee.

03-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Truely colourful and inspirational. Excellent serie of butterfly images. Thank you for sharing them!
03-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Truely colourful and inspirational. Excellent serie of butterfly images. Thank you for sharing them!
Thanks for the good words.
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #7

very nice colorful series!
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Oh yes! true words.

There was one question I have: Number 7. Looks like the butterfly was on the back of someone in a striped shirt. The scale would have made it about 7 or more inches across. It that the case? Looks like it.

03-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great that you started to post again! Great collection of colourful butterflies!
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice series. I don't know sure about the focussing on the eyes. The character of a butterfly is shown in its wings, not in its eyes, like it is in mammals and humans. Or is this just the taxonomist in me? When I see butterflies, I want to see the magnificent colours in their wings.... Probably when you're doing macros.....

Well, most probably my thoughts are worth nothing, but I like these photos!
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice series. I agree that some of them could be lightened up a little bit. Having had some experience with butterflies, I know hard it is to get a decent exposure.

I need to go back to my local butterfly garden soon. I've got a diffuser for the flash on the way and I just need a sync cord and hopefully that'll solve the lighting issue for me.

Heather
03-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Pas pire!!!

Cool pics, I like the colours.

I think I'll go to the Jardins Botaniques de Montreal on my next day off to check out the butterflies there... (unfortunately my next day off is not until the 13th!!!)

Pat
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Very nice series. I don't know sure about the focussing on the eyes. The character of a butterfly is shown in its wings, not in its eyes, like it is in mammals and humans. Or is this just the taxonomist in me? When I see butterflies, I want to see the magnificent colours in their wings.... Probably when you're doing macros.....

Well, most probably my thoughts are worth nothing, but I like these photos!
I guess I wouldn't disagree with you there. I'm hardly an expert myself.
03-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
There was one question I have: Number 7. Looks like the butterfly was on the back of someone in a striped shirt. The scale would have made it about 7 or more inches across. It that the case? Looks like it.
It was really big, yes. I would say 6-7 inches is probably right. Really impressive.

QuoteQuote:
Great that you started to post again! Great collection of colourful butterflies!
Thanks! I'll do my best to be around more often.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know sure about the focussing on the eyes. The character of a butterfly is shown in its wings, not in its eyes, like it is in mammals and humans. Or is this just the taxonomist in me? When I see butterflies, I want to see the magnificent colours in their wings....
I think it probably depends on what the photographer wants to achieve. Each picture is different. That's an interesting debate, in any case.

Thanks again for looking and commenting, and sorry for my late reply.
03-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #15
Millionth Poster!

Nice series, like all the colors captured.