Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

nice winter vistas after gruesome hike=well worth it
Posted By: khardur, 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Hey all.. Got home last night after about a 4.5 hour hike up Mt. Greylock. It happens to be the highest peak in Massachusetts, and I'm fortunate it's only about 10 minutes away from my house.

I went up the Thunderbolt Trail, an old ski trail apparently used quite frequently back in the 50's. Here's a shot of the whole mountain I took from a couple years back:

There's a big rocky patch you can see on the above photo - the thunderbolt trail goes up to the right of that.

I'm not in bad shape physically, but that trail is a whopper with a backpack with camera, lenses & crap, plus extra shirts, water/juice, snacks, and the tripod. I really have to weigh the whole setup and see if I can pare anything down.. Thank goodness I took the extra shirts too - by the time I got to the top my inner layer was soaked - so I removed it all and replaced with the dry shirts - I was very comfortable.
Anyway, here are the pictures from this trip:
1. Looking out from near the top of the trail:

2. War Memorial tower on the top of the mountain:

3. Sunset - I was starting to get fidgety because I know the side I have to go back down faces east and thus gets dark quickly.

4. One more before I started my ride back down the trail. I brought a small sled with me called a swiss bob. I rode that down the less-steep portions...

I walked/jogged down the steeper parts because it was too dark and I didn't want to break something.

5. One last shot just before I got back to the car at the bottom of the mountain.

As I was taking my stuff off my legs felt like jello. Actually I've groaned quite a bit getting around the house today, that was a strenuous trip. But well worth it, except for a few pictures which were ruined by interference from a cell tower on the top of the mountain. (caused nasty diagonal banding on some of the pics which I didn't notice until I got home - *grumble* - will post one of those shortly in this thread.

Last edited by khardur; 03-01-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Views: 3,339
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent series of images, even the one with banding. Congrats on the effort and the reward!

03-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Dan, I enjoyed seeing this series. I have never been up Greylock although I've been out
that way more than once. You really made the most of the opportunity, well done!
03-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very Nice!!!
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The hike was worth it Dan, you have some really good photographs here. Thanks for posting them.

03-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great series. You can almost see my house. just kidding. I have to get out there some time.
You're not too far from here - in the spring there should be some real nice waterfalls going...

QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Excellent series of images, even the one with banding. Congrats on the effort and the reward!
Yeah, I'm debating if I should try and salvage some of those - or try a different spot in the next few weeks before the snow melts.

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
Dan, I enjoyed seeing this series. I have never been up Greylock although I've been out
that way more than once. You really made the most of the opportunity, well done!
It's a really nice drive from the N. Adams side, a lot of spots on the side that have great views. It really is worth the trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
Very Nice!!!
Thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
The hike was worth it Dan, you have some really good photographs here. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks Heinrich.
03-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looked with the utmost pleasure. Very beautiful pink sunset. Thank you.
03-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Great use of you time - wonderfull lanscapes and sunset. Well done Dan.

03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent series Dan. Beautiful shots. Next time you'll have to bring a winter tent and get some sunrise shots
03-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Excellent series Dan. Beautiful shots. Next time you'll have to bring a winter tent and get some sunrise shots
Don't think I haven't thought about that! I've got a sleeping bag rated down to 0 degrees. But with the time up this particular trail was just under two hours... I could also leave early and get there before sunrise. That would save some stressing out my wife would have about me staying overnight.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great use of you time - wonderfull lanscapes and sunset. Well done Dan.
Thanks Dave. It was a lot of fun, and finally my legs don't feel sore anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by drmartin Quote
Looked with the utmost pleasure. Very beautiful pink sunset. Thank you.
Thanks drmartin, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Last edited by khardur; 03-03-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling