Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

We went to a concert last night......
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 03-01-2009, 06:57 PM

.......and took just 2 lenses: SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 50 mm and the DFA 1:2.8 100 mm Macro.

The lighting was atrocious, just the regular house lighting would have been fine but than they stuck 2 halogan spots, one from each side balcony shining onto the centre risers. Anyway here are a couple, is the B/W any better than the color?

50mm

100mm

All with K20D

Comments are always welcome and appreciated
Views: 2,662
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
They look really good given the lighting conditions.

The colour 50mm is my favourite. While I usually prefer B&W photos, my very first impression of that one, was that there was some kind of transparent feature to the right and left of the "stage", but looking closer it was the walls. I don't know why but they just seemed to float, almost like two images were exposed on the same frame. That's my uneducated, untrained impression, TIFWIW.

Nice photos thought, and thanks for sharing.
Thank you for looking and the detailed comments, it's funny but the walls struck me like that when I first opened the image as well.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
Hi Heinrich,

Nice captures. Tough choice, but because of the difficult lighting and resulting color, I'll go against the majority of comments here and say that I prefer the B&W version.
Thank you Scott and so did I but... since the color version printed MUCH better than this online version the choir choose the color version.

Take care,

03-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the color too Heinrich, but the music director needs to tell that guy in the back to smile
03-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
jeffkpotter

I like these a lot Heinrich. Was it a good concert? What were they singing?
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Church lighting is awful isn't it? I haven't been in one yet that has pleasing light. I think they both look good, the color is my favorite though.

03-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice captures. I like the color better as well. I would like to see them with the red channel desaturated a tad?
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I like the color too Heinrich, but the music director needs to tell that guy in the back to smile
Thank you Tom and you are absolutely right but this was towards the end of a grueling (for the choirs) concert, everyone was pretty pooped.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
I like these a lot Heinrich. Was it a good concert? What were they singing?
Thank you Jeff, it was a fabulous concert. Up until this year we both sang in the Airdrie Community choir. Here is the program for this concert:

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Church lighting is awful isn't it? I haven't been in one yet that has pleasing light. I think they both look good, the color is my favorite though.
Thank you, the lighting would have been OK without the two halogen spots but such is life.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Nice captures. I like the color better as well. I would like to see them with the red channel desaturated a tad?
Thank you for the kind comments, I took the red channel down as far as I could but backed of when it introduced a green cast.

Take care,