Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Which one out of the 3 image? (BW scanned)
Posted By: SuperAkuma, 03-05-2009, 01:41 PM

I show this with my Pentax ZX-L film camera with Kodak TriX 400 film scanned with a canon flat bed scanner. I shot this for my film class and the assignment is "Patterns".

These three shots where taken at the same time of the same subject but with different angle.
Out of the three which one do you like best? Also how can I improve on this picture? I may go back to the same spot to retake the image if I can improve it.

Please judge on the composition and how I framed the image. The contrast and exposure can be adjusted in development. I just want to know which one I should print.

Views: 1,813
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The third one for me, thank you! Can't really explain, but the impression it makes works for me, nice shot!
03-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#2 for me

#2 or 3 are good, but I like #2 the best. Did you try getting closer to the ground when you took the photo? Not sure if that would work, but I tend to notice photos that look like someone was just standing looking across when they took the photo. And maybe the box at the bottom of the plant in the foreground could be whole - not cut.

But really, I like the images. I'll let the experts give you their opinion. :-)
03-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Agreed, the third one. It shows how extensive the scene actually is. In this case, more is good

03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
#2 or 3 are good, but I like #2 the best. Did you try getting closer to the ground when you took the photo? Not sure if that would work, but I tend to notice photos that look like someone was just standing looking across when they took the photo. And maybe the box at the bottom of the plant in the foreground could be whole - not cut.

But really, I like the images. I'll let the experts give you their opinion. :-)
#1 I was kneeing and the other two I was standing.

I will try not to cut out the box on the bottom the next time I take the shot. I also have a few shots with my K1000 that I haven't developed yet. I'll post up those image next week when I develop them.

Thanks for the inputs, keep them coming.
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

I like the second one the best.

The third may show more of the scene, but the second gives a better feeling of the vastness of the field. Also, I like how it starts off with a very clear center of attention with a single tressle (is that the right word?) and then your eyes move back and take in more and more and more, and see how expansive the field is.

By the way, Super Akuma a badass name.
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

I think you should go with the last image. If you crop out the top sky, including the hedge, your image will focus on and reinforce what is in essence a very good pattern image. No matter how one looks at the image the eye is led through the whole image. I don't know what it looks like in colour, but if the colours are well balanced and do not not take away from the wonderful pattern, then it might be worth considering also.

03-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The converging lines formed by the white papers in the first picture catch my eye at the same time as I like that you let the upper part of these construction merge into some sort of a canopy.

They all makes me think of some war graveyard.
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pick number three. It lets you know where all those lines are going
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

While I like #3 - it's been shot that way 100000 times I am sure. I vote #1 with a little straightening of the horizon.
03-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
Forum Member

#1 confuses me, can't find anything to focus on and it kinda pushes you away, which some might find interesting.
#3 I'd like to see the tree line and sky, croping the top might help, but I think it would become a "geometric" photo and not really have much to say.

#2 gets my vote hands down. Timeless photo that just seems more inviting than the others.
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the 2nd shot the best
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
While I like #3 - it's been shot that way 100000 times I am sure. I vote #1 with a little straightening of the horizon.
I got the idea of shooting this shots from that 10000 times that I saw it, but it was at the cometary, not the farm. I tried to add my own point of view to it that is why I shot it in different ways.

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
#1 confuses me, can't find anything to focus on and it kinda pushes you away, which some might find interesting.
#3 I'd like to see the tree line and sky, croping the top might help, but I think it would become a "geometric" photo and not really have much to say.

#2 gets my vote hands down. Timeless photo that just seems more inviting than the others.
I get the point of #1 where you can't find anything to focus. I think it would of been better if I stood up on that shot. After you pointed it out, it does seems like it looks "busy". I liked how the rows branches out in a "V" shape. I will try it again standing up on that shot.

Thanks for the input everyone, keep them coming, it really helps.