Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spring in Ohio
Posted By: Bud, 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM

Hi... this'll be my first picture post here. If you visit DPReview, you may recognize a couple of them. With temps being forecast for below freezing this weekend, I decided I needed to get out and capture some the flora and fauna that was tricked in to thinking spring actually had sprung. Blue skies, 80 degrees and some nice early day filtered sun, made for some fun experiments with lighting and DOF. I expect that many of these pictured will be in a bit of trouble over the next few days here.

All shots with the K10D and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR LD Di - I really like this lens. It's been on the camera about 90% of the time since my last bout with LBA. Very sharp, great DOF and color rendition.

C&C encouraged and welcome!

Bud

Wildflower - Spring Beauties

Buckeye Tree sapling

Yellow Trout Lily

Blood Root

Pear Blossoms

Crab Apple Blossoms

And the fauna...
Blanchard's Cricket Frogs

Black Rat Snake catching some rays...
Now you see him....

Soon you won't....

Views: 3,597
04-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Ed in GA

Hey Bud,

All fantastics photos. Again.

Ed
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice series! Look at how perfect those flowers are in #1. I absolutely love the lighting in #2, not sure about the composition though and #4 is awesome. I'm in disbelief with the last one...look at him go! Excellent capture.
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice shots and welcome aboard.

04-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all for the comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Very nice series! Look at how perfect those flowers are in #1. I absolutely love the lighting in #2, not sure about the composition though and #4 is awesome. I'm in disbelief with the last one...look at him go! Excellent capture.
Photochop - I'm not well-versed in the area of composition... Just curious, what disturbs you about the composition and what would you do to the photo to make it more appealing?

Thanks!

Bud
04-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
Photochop - I'm not well-versed in the area of composition... Just curious, what disturbs you about the composition and what would you do to the photo to make it more appealing?

Thanks!

Bud
Well, I disagree with you here. You've done very well well with composition on all the other shots.

The problem with that particular shot for me is that it doesn't have a strong point of focus and there isn't an even flow like the first one has. The rule of thirds is not present, there are 3 leaves that are in focus but 2 of them have been cut out of the frame, also they seem to be crammed up in the bottom left corner. The eyes are naturally drawn to in focus areas so this causes my eye to leave the frame abruptly when it should stay within the frame. Btw, I have yet to master these rules as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Others may feel differently.

Now what would I do differently? It's hard to say because I don't know what the whole scene looks like but I would probably get in a little closer to the middle leaf or stop down the aperture to increase the depth of field or try to find a view with a less busy background so you can hone in on that really special light you caught. All in all this is "just" my opinion
04-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice work Bud! Love the colors, #5 my personal favorite!

Regards,
D
04-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photochop...

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Well, I disagree with you here. You've done very well well with composition on all the other shots.

The problem with that particular shot for me is that it doesn't have a strong point of focus and there isn't an even flow like the first one has. The rule of thirds is not present, there are 3 leaves that are in focus but 2 of them have been cut out of the frame, also they seem to be crammed up in the bottom left corner. The eyes are naturally drawn to in focus areas so this causes my eye to leave the frame abruptly when it should stay within the frame. Btw, I have yet to master these rules as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Others may feel differently.

Now what would I do differently? It's hard to say because I don't know what the whole scene looks like but I would probably get in a little closer to the middle leaf or stop down the aperture to increase the depth of field or try to find a view with a less busy background so you can hone in on that really special light you caught. All in all this is "just" my opinion

Thanks for the input! At the time, it was all about the light, and even though I still like the shot, everything you say makes sense.

Thanks again!

Bud

04-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Nice work Bud! Love the colors, #5 my personal favorite!

Regards,
D
Thanks, D! I think #5 will probably be my favorite in a frame.
The last shot of the black rat snake in motion will be the one that sticks in my head, because I can still here the soft, high-pitched sound of its scales lightly rubbing against the stump as it whipped down into that hole... very cool
04-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lots of good harbingers of spring. You can't beat the blurred tube of the blacksnake to emphasis directional speed. Cool shot. Though of the flower shots I really like the bloodroot and troutlily for compo. Great colors throughout.
04-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Lots of good harbingers of spring. You can't beat the blurred tube of the blacksnake to emphasis directional speed. Cool shot. Though of the flower shots I really like the bloodroot and troutlily for compo. Great colors throughout.

Thanks, Clarence... it's snowing today, so maybe I'll get to repeat the experience in a week or two. "Spring deja vu..."