Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Cave,Stalagmites ,Stalactite and Cenote
Posted By: daacon, 03-06-2009, 07:15 AM

One morning we got up and went to the Nature Park in Aktun Chen. There were three things to do there (Zip line done that, Quad tour done that and take a tour of one of the caves - I am in). I had the DA 12-24 and my AF-540FGZ Flash. The shots do not do it justice it was a spectacular visit. At one place the opening went down to about 3 feet I actually had to crawl ! I could have used a monopod , gonna have to get a light weight travel one. I could have used one a couple of times on the trip.

The end of the cave where there was a cenote.

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/3330505733_e3e72c5025_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3330505623_225f8f9cd3_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3329673042_d67cceb56e_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3329674412_df6c81a415_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

The roots of the trees above would make their way down to water - it was cool. It was like ropes all over the place.

I have many more shots but that should give you and idea.

And just in case my wife says I never take her anwyhere

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/3328833509_4f271be14e_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

The whole sereies can be seen here Mexico 2009 - Caves of Aktun Chen - a set on Flickr
Views: 2,594
03-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dave,
Great cave shots. I love caves, and I know how hard they are to capture. You did a great job.
Frank

03-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Those first two shots are impressive. Looks like the kind of location that would be fun to play around with lighting using multiple strobes or studio lights if there was enough time.
Thanks Steinback - indeed I think it would a great place to play with lighting and a model shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Dave,
Great cave shots. I love caves, and I know how hard they are to capture. You did a great job.
Frank
Thanks Frank this was my first cave shoot and I hope not may last.
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Arrhhh... the nostalgia kicks in! I bought my K10 specifically for a weekend trip away, with my online camera club, to Jenolan Caves in Feb 2008. Because there were a dozen of us we were lucky enough to have our own guide, kept mostly to caves without tourists, and we all had loads of gear. I ran out of room on my 4 gig card and had to delete the chaff so I could take more on day 2 What a great trip that was! Think there's one in my 'User Gallery' from that trip. Got knocked back by PPG

But, this is a great series. The 2nd shot is wonderful! Gotta love that warm green colour of underground water and the reflections you've captured just make the shot.

Got wall space?
03-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Dave,

Not many cave photographers last many years. Their assistants usually kill them.

"That's it! hold it there on the rope in the waterfall, just a second while I recharge that other flash, what do you mean the water is 5 deg C? Keep the flash dry, KEEP THE FLASH DRY, of course your flash didn't fire, lick the mud of the slave, you with the bulb, I only want your nostrils out of the water, not your mouth as well..."

'Tis a terrible life indeed...

03-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

What a fantastic place! I guess it was not easy to figure out the lighting? Great results!
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series Dave - I do like the reflections, especially in #2. That must have been a blast! (not literally)

Cheers,
Marc
03-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Arrhhh... the nostalgia kicks in!<snip>
But, this is a great series. The 2nd shot is wonderful! Gotta love that warm green colour of underground water and the reflections you've captured just make the shot.

Got wall space?
Thanks KrisK10D I do indeed think I will print some wall size ...I have never submitted anything to PPG may try a few from this trip. I wish we could have spent more time in the caves like you did. We moved along too fast for my liking. Oh well maybe next time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Dave,
Not many cave photographers last many years. Their assistants usually kill them.
<snip>
'Tis a terrible life indeed...

Haha my wife has always said if we keep going to places like the Mayan Riveria she wouldbe more than willing to be my assitant. However I suspect in the end it would like wall papering together so perhaps not

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
What a fantastic place! I guess it was not easy to figure out the lighting? Great results!
Thanks Georg it was a really ccool place indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Great series Dave - I do like the reflections, especially in #2. That must have been a blast! (not literally)
Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc it was fun ducking everywhere - there were some parts where the ceiling was 30 feet above us and one place in particular where it was about 3 feet. At 6'2" with my Lowepro Computer Trekker Backpack on I had to get on my knees and almost on my belly !

03-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I love it when the caves have water too, spectacular !
03-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments Jonson PL- I thought it was great view as well.