Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cave,Stalagmites ,Stalactite and Cenote
Posted By: daacon, 03-06-2009, 07:15 AM

One morning we got up and went to the Nature Park in Aktun Chen. There were three things to do there (Zip line done that, Quad tour done that and take a tour of one of the caves - I am in). I had the DA 12-24 and my AF-540FGZ Flash. The shots do not do it justice it was a spectacular visit. At one place the opening went down to about 3 feet I actually had to crawl ! I could have used a monopod , gonna have to get a light weight travel one. I could have used one a couple of times on the trip.

The end of the cave where there was a cenote.

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/3330505733_e3e72c5025_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3330505623_225f8f9cd3_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3329673042_d67cceb56e_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3329674412_df6c81a415_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

The roots of the trees above would make their way down to water - it was cool. It was like ropes all over the place.

I have many more shots but that should give you and idea.

And just in case my wife says I never take her anwyhere

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/3328833509_4f271be14e_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

The whole sereies can be seen here Mexico 2009 - Caves of Aktun Chen - a set on Flickr
Views: 2,589
03-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, you spent your time well! You could have been away 6 weeks, with all those pictures....!
I like this series, especially the first two, with the reflections of the wonderfull structures in the dark blue water. The times I visited such caves they were very chilly!

Last edited by Rense; 03-06-2009 at 10:35 AM.
03-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, Dave - these are super; the first two especially - how'd you manage to bring out the color while maintaining the dim lighting of the cave?

BTW, please tell your wife that I think you and I may be rather similar in a number of ways and therefore she must be a brave and forgiving woman.

Glad you had such a great time.

Jer
03-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cool shots Dave. Man, it looks like you had one great trip. JIM

03-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots Dave, I'd love to see those caves. Thanks for sharing.
03-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Dave, you spent your time well! You could have been away 6 weeks, with all those pictures....!
I like this series, especially the first two, with the reflections of the wonderfull structures in the dark blue water. The times I visited such caves they were very chilly!
Thanks Resne it was hot down there I was sweating pretty good at times. Of course carrying 10kilos of camera gear might have something to do with it

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Dave - these are super; the first two especially - how'd you manage to bring out the color while maintaining the dim lighting of the cave?
BTW, please tell your wife that I think you and I may be rather similar in a number of ways and therefore she must be a brave and forgiving woman.
Glad you had such a great time.
Jer
I think so anyone who has put up with me for 23 years and counting ....... As for the lighting well I hate to give away my secret but ok just for you. As this is a tourist stop they actually had floodlights on the outside givng enough light . It was still about a 3 second exposure I rested the camera on the bridge which was not all that steady however pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Cool shots Dave. Man, it looks like you had one great trip. JIM
Thanks Jimbo we had a motto every day was the 'Best Day Ever'

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Beautiful shots Dave, I'd love to see those caves. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Scott check out my flickr link in the initial post - there are many more some good some not so good (Flash washout).
03-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Thanks Jimbo we had a motto every day was the 'Best Day Ever'
Great Motto Dave and I may use it too! I will send $$'s for royalties! JIM

03-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Very cool series Dave. The second one is the best with the great colours and reflections.
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, they are all very nice images but number one is one sweet photo. Thanks for sharing some of your vacation.
03-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great Motto Dave and I may use it too! I will send $$'s for royalties! JIM
No Problem we are glass half full people so everytime you say it have a drink make it a game

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Very cool series Dave. The second one is the best with the great colours and reflections.
Thanks Peter it was something I had never seen before - very cool. Wish I had more time in there (the guide was trying to get us out of there for the next group )

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Dave, they are all very nice images but number one is one sweet photo. Thanks for sharing some of your vacation.
Thanks Heinrich - no problem not as many places as your usual fall trip - but a different part of the world for sure.
03-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Those first to shots are awesome. I love the colors down there. Great job thanks for sharing.
03-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for capturing these images. Great shots as they are clean and neatly done.
03-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Interesting, and good job with long exposures for the first two shots.

Cave photography really is challenging. The last four shots show the disadvantage of having a flash on the camera. Direct light flattens the image.

One easy method is to fix the camera position (tripod, rock, beanbag etc) frame and focus with the camera set to "B". Put a cloth over the lens, or leave the cap on. Fire the shutter. Now head out with your flash set to distance and power suitable for the iso and F stop. Get your assistant to remove the lens cover, then fire the flash at the subject. You can do this repeatedly to paint a large area.
03-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Those first to shots are awesome. I love the colors down there. Great job thanks for sharing.
Thanks Pat these are by far my favorite as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Thanks for capturing these images. Great shots as they are clean and neatly done.
Thansk for stopping by James - appreciate the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Interesting, and good job with long exposures for the first two shots.

Cave photography really is challenging. The last four shots show the disadvantage of having a flash on the camera. Direct light flattens the image.

One easy method is to fix the camera position (tripod, rock, beanbag etc) frame and focus with the camera set to "B". Put a cloth over the lens, or leave the cap on. Fire the shutter. Now head out with your flash set to distance and power suitable for the iso and F stop. Get your assistant to remove the lens cover, then fire the flash at the subject. You can do this repeatedly to paint a large area.
Thansk for the tips Dale - you are so right I have a few where the flash completley washed out the detail. It was difficult as this was with a tour group and everytime I tried to stop and take a shot without a flash the guide would come by and 'strongly suggest' I keep up with the group - I got lucky on the first two as that was right beore we exited and I watied till eveyone was gone accross the suspended Bridge so I could rest the camera on the railing.

Good advice and I think the next cave I hit I will give it a go. Thanks Dale !

Last edited by daacon; 03-07-2009 at 08:58 AM.
03-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Those first two shots are impressive. Looks like the kind of location that would be fun to play around with lighting using multiple strobes or studio lights if there was enough time.