Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Musical instruments...(something very different for me)
Posted By: ll_coffee_lP, 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM

As some of you may know I normally only shoot people - so this is a bit different for me...

Our business will be showcasing some of our work in the upcoming unveiling of a dream home in our city (we are providing the artwork). This dream home has a music room in the house and we wanted to capture some still life photos for the room.

Here's a few samplings that I've worked on so far. I would really appreciate if any of you still life shooters can offer any CC, as I'm a bit out of my element here.

All photos will be in BW that we are showcasing in this room (to match the furniture), so only BW images are being shown.

Let me know what you think..

Thanks

c[_]
Views: 3,748
03-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not much of a still life photographer, but I like these pictures!
03-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are all good. Like the depth of field and selective focus. First three I am able to identify the instruments (I play no music), so that will be a help for the common man.
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats coffe ! I like them all. The violin does not look quite right. Maybe too much space on the left or need to see more of it. Not sure what it is. I love the others but I think something is a little off in #2

03-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series, Coffee! Like always I admire your tasteful style and how you control shadows and light, not fearing to go from really high key to deep black in the same image!
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments folks!

Daacon...thank you for your feedback ! The negative space on the left is intentional (maybe does need to be a touch more, or a touch less - I agree), however I think what is throwing the shot off a little is because the focus is on the bridge (thing that holds the strings up), rather than the body of the violin. I took about 100 shots of the violin so I may try to find one that suits a touch better.

c[_]
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Forum Member

I like those... especially the last one. Great job.

Dan

03-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
They are all good. Like the depth of field and selective focus. First three I am able to identify the instruments (I play no music), so that will be a help for the common man.
Thanks for the comment!

The images are of a piano (a 1927 grand), an acoustic guitar, a violin, and a mandolin.

I'm not musically inclined - so I just shot the instruments that visually appealed to me and ones that looked classic (to suit the house that the images will be in). I couldn't believe how light the violin was...it weighed almost nothing at all.

Lots of electric guitars on hand (and electronic keyboards), but I didn't shoot any of them - as the feel wasn't right for what I was looking for.

c[_]