Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The circus -- man, this wasn't easy
Posted By: pingflood, 03-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Went to the Big Apple circus this past weekend -- last day in town and my little girl enjoyed it. :-) Decided to bring the big gun and 85/1.8 just for fun and to try something a little challenging. No flash allowed, and the light was poor and all over the place.

Lessons learned:

Even a really good meter can't handle this crap. Ended up spot metering off the performers and that worked out ok. M mode helped greatly since I could eyeball how much to compensate for what I spot metered off and get it mostly right pretty quickly.

Servo mode AF did much better at grabbing on and tracking small objects -- using single shot I had pictures where the AF sensor was too large for the small subject and focused on the background instead. Seems like servo mode -- at least on this camera -- grabs smaller subjects better. Figured this out pretty quick and 83 out of 93 shots were focused well.

It's better to shoot at higher ISO to retain high shutter speeds than trying to compromise. Shot everything at 1600 or 3200 to keep things fast enough since shutter speeds too slow just ruined everything. A little noise is preferable to that!

A few shots:

Views: 1,654
03-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They all turned out well I think. Were they all handheld or on some kind of tripod or monopod?
03-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent for web shots there is very little noise. Great job.
03-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
They all turned out well I think. Were they all handheld or on some kind of tripod or monopod?
Handheld. To freeze the action I had to shoot at 1/250 or faster and no problem hand holding an 85mm at those speeds (even though I don't have SR!).

03-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It must be real that the circus is magic because i don´t see the noise anywhere. Fantastic series
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

These are outstanding pictures! Low-light masterpieces!

Flickr: sopiandri's Photostream
03-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots, amazing quality considering the dark environment!

03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm assuming you shot with your 1DsMkII? I wonder how the high ISO compares to the K20D. Very nice shots, by the way!
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I'm assuming you shot with your 1DsMkII? I wonder how the high ISO compares to the K20D. Very nice shots, by the way!
Yes, I did. As for high ISO... it's kind of weird. When pixel peeping I can swear the 1Ds II looks no better than and sometimes worse than the K20D. But prints and exported JPEGs look much better. Can't quite figure that one out. (Though there are some lengthy discussion threads on how Canon setup the 1Ds2 output so that it looks softer at 100% but retains more detail.. yeah, not entirely clear on that, but the results are what matter I suppose!)
03-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The lighting was bad but the proof is in the pudding and the shots turned out great

cheers