Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spring Sunset 'scapes
Posted By: HowLowCanYaGo, 03-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Although this set was shot during early sunset, the following still needed some more white balance treatment to give them warmer looks.

I'm considering these for the PPG, which ones stand out more than others to you? What do you think about the white balance? Crops?

300mm

300mm

190mm

77.5mm

Views: 1,824
03-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #2

Original Poster
bump. lots of threads started last night!
03-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was tough. of the 4 shots I don't like the one with the bus as much. Partly because of the visible fence on the right side. I'd next say the same about the 3rd shot.

Although 1 and 2 look almost identical. I like 1 much better. 2 appears to be more 'compressed looking' if that makes any sense and I like the littile bit more foreground road in 1. In 2 the foreground road is less defined and seems more of a distraction than an element of the shot.

Edit: Having said all that. If you cropped or touched up the top rail of the fence in #3 (make it disappear) then that might work better but I still like 1 the best. The heat radiation off the road looks great and the image itself is just more dramatic.

Btw. I like the colour tone. Great concept and execution.
03-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

I like the the third image. The colours appear to have a green or yellow cast on them. It would definitely have more impact if there was someone walking or a car in the foreground. But not one in deep shadow as you have in the last image, unless you intend to make it a silhouette.

JMR

03-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd go for 3 . I like 4 but I think the bus takes a little away from it.
03-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This was tough. of the 4 shots I don't like the one with the bus as much. Partly because of the visible fence on the right side. I'd next say the same about the 3rd shot.

Although 1 and 2 look almost identical. I like 1 much better. 2 appears to be more 'compressed looking' if that makes any sense and I like the littile bit more foreground road in 1. In 2 the foreground road is less defined and seems more of a distraction than an element of the shot.

Edit: Having said all that. If you cropped or touched up the top rail of the fence in #3 (make it disappear) then that might work better but I still like 1 the best. The heat radiation off the road looks great and the image itself is just more dramatic.

Btw. I like the colour tone. Great concept and execution.
Agreed. The shot with the delivery truck is my least favored. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR:
I like the the third image. The colours appear to have a green or yellow cast on them. It would definitely have more impact if there was someone walking or a car in the foreground. But not one in deep shadow as you have in the last image, unless you intend to make it a silhouette.

JMR
Yes, the yellow cast was exaggerated for the warm feeling. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon:
I'd go for 3 . I like 4 but I think the bus takes a little away from it.
Thanks for the opinion!
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great set in all, but number one gets (and got) my vote!

03-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you sir!