Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Beautiful Day
Posted By: jmbradd, 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM

Here in portland, just had to get out and try to learn some clear skies photograhpy. I always find clouds and dynamic skies fascinating but believe it or not, the skies here in oregon are often clear in the summer time. Guess today was a preview.

As always, comments appreciated! Everytime I go out I try to be a little bit better photographer.

ps. Also of note, I was standing on the broadway bridge today, looked down and saw a sea lion in the water! First marine mammal i've seen in a river so far from the ocean thats not a bottle neck for salmon (ie the columbia river dams). I wouldn't be surprised if its travling to one of the tributaries like the clackamas or even the santiam (long ways to go!). I'm an environmental science major and was shocked to see this!
Views: 1,514
03-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
Here in portland, just had to get out and try to learn some clear skies photograhpy. I always find clouds and dynamic skies fascinating but believe it or not, the skies here in oregon are often clear in the summer time. Guess today was a preview.

As always, comments appreciated! Everytime I go out I try to be a little bit better photographer.

ps. Also of note, I was standing on the broadway bridge today, looked down and saw a sea lion in the water! First marine mammal i've seen in a river so far from the ocean thats not a bottle neck for salmon (ie the columbia river dams). I wouldn't be surprised if its travling to one of the tributaries like the clackamas or even the santiam (long ways to go!). I'm an environmental science major and was shocked to see this!
Great shot. The color of the sky is really beautiful. But I think the image is a little bit over saturated. You can get away with the sky being over saturated but the house stands out too me for me. I would bring down the orange and red just a little.
03-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a great shot and colors are good. I agree on the saturartion though. the upper right hand corner of the pic (looking at it) just looks off.
03-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
On my camera I have saturation set to 0 on the custom image menu and put it through the lightroom contrast enhanced pre-set.

The upper right hand is kinda messed up because I was using a polarizer and a 2 stop grad (stupid but I had never used one before and wanted to give it a go!) On my LCD it looked as if that side was too bright but now I know, it was not.

I'll try to pull some saturation out and repost when I get home.

03-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Great shot. The color of the sky is really beautiful. But I think the image is a little bit over saturated. You can get away with the sky being over saturated but the house stands out too me for me. I would bring down the orange and red just a little.
My thoughts too in terms of the saturation. There was some splendid weather yesterday in Portland, but not THAT splendid

In regards to the sea lion...hang out on the Broadway or Steel bridges and you may see a few more of those beasts. They wander up the Willamette River following the salmon and it is not particularly unusual to see them from the bridges or sea wall in Portland.

Steve

(Enjoying the early spring sunshine just over the river in Vancouver...)
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok, I think the wrong pre-set was applied to this last set...I hit "reset" and clicked on the k20d contrast enhanced preset someone posted on this forum and it looks way better.

The corner still sucks but the station no longer looks like its bleeding, at least to me.