Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Verrazano Narrows from Jersey City
Posted By: Nesster, 03-12-2009, 04:05 AM

43mm Limited w/Yellow filter on a ZX-10, Kodak BW400CN
Views: 1,495
03-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shot.

It's been 40 years since I've been in NYC so...

... am I looking more or less South East across New York Harbor at the Verrazano bridge (it wasn't there when I was) with Brooklyn on the left of the bridge? Just curious to know if my memory is still good.

Wildman
03-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a lot I like about this shot. The lone gull , the pp and the grain. Very nice shot.
03-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both -
@ wildman, yes, essentially you are correct. The land on the left is Governor's Island, though beyond it you do glimpse Brooklyn. At the far right is Ellis Island.

03-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thank you both -
@ wildman, yes, essentially you are correct. The land on the left is Governor's Island, though beyond it you do glimpse Brooklyn. At the far right is Ellis Island.
Thanks for that.
I had completely forgotten about Governor's Island - now I know why the harbor looked so narrow over to Brooklyn.

OK that explains it. My best guess is you took your shot from the old CRRNJ ferry Terminal. Right?

I hope you don't mind all all this off topic stuff. Your picture brought back a lot of very good memories of the bay. I was stationed for a summer at the Brooklyn Navel yards waiting for assignment to Europe way back during the Second Punic Wars with nothing to do but wait for orders. I remember doing a lot of birding over at the Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. Here I was in one of the most densely urbanized areas in the world and a few miles from me was some of the best birding I have ever found. Especially for small song birds. I also spent a lot time exploring around the bay with a girl I had met from Staten Island - but I bore you with an old man's memories.

Thanks for your lovely picture you never know when your images will "reach out and touch someone".

Wildman

Last edited by wildman; 03-12-2009 at 10:30 AM.
03-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CRRNJ is a bit south of where I was - it is now a part of Liberty State Park, and the statue ferries leave from there.
Here's some pics on flickr from there, I haven't posted anything good or recognizable from there:
Flickr: Search

The Erie Lackawanna in Hoboken still is in use, though the old ferry building really isn't. They recently added a tower cupola to the whole shebang.

Here's a bit of what JC looks like from the West side of lower Manhattan

The Punic wars! I do get a kick out of your reminisces... wait, I have another pic for you...