Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sharp garden shots
Posted By: Adam, 04-05-2007, 07:09 PM

I took a few backyard snaps today and was very surprised with the outcome of some of them!

After checking out 100% crops of the photos, I found the lens I was using to be sharper than about any I had ever used before. I'm saying this because most of the shots were handlend around F2.4 and even distant edges rendered perfectly!

What lens do you think it was? I'll let you judge the sharpness yourself

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,833
04-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

Adam,

They are all great shots but I really like the second one. It almost pops off the screen! My guess is the FA 50mm 1.4
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, despite the underexposure I really liked the second one. Can't wait to use this lens in the field!

Not that lens, though, but you're close- you're in the right series and aperture range

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to like you for the answer.

I've been looking for an FA* 85/1.4 for a long time.

04-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to like you for the answer.

I've been looking for an FA* 85/1.4 for a long time.
It's definitely a gem and I can't believe I favored other lenses over it when I had the chance to buy it in December. I let two offers go by, but later tranq78 helped me out with finding it as well as the 80-200mm. You should drop him a PM if you're hungry for FA*'s

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the second one too. I'm guessing your 50/1.2?
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
All the above photos were actually taken with my new FA* 85mm, as Sean suggested.

The A 50/1.2 is a great lens, but I'm finding the FA 50/1.7 to be significantly sharper. It fact, it might even be the sharpest 50mm after the FA 50mm macro!

Adam

04-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The last one is my favorite. Very nice.
-Dan
04-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the bokeh said it's not a fast 50, and it's interesting that you find your 50 1.2 to be less sharp, I find the complete opposite! I think my SMC 50 1.2 is a tad sharper than my FA 50 1.4. Obviously there is some variation in the individual lenses. I was going to guess the 70mm pancake. But I wouldn't have been even close.

NaCl(looks like I need more experience in judging lenses)H2O
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Would love to get my hands on one of those...

Hi Adam!

Congratulations on the 85mm! I'd really like to try one of those out one of these days. I don't think now that I've gotten the 77mm that I want to add one to the bag, but it would be fun to see what it can do firsthand.

Thanks for the beautiful images and the tip!
04-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well, the bokeh said it's not a fast 50, and it's interesting that you find your 50 1.2 to be less sharp, I find the complete opposite! I think my SMC 50 1.2 is a tad sharper than my FA 50 1.4. Obviously there is some variation in the individual lenses. I was going to guess the 70mm pancake. But I wouldn't have been even close.

I'd place the 1.2 between the FA 1.7 and 1.4. I've found the FA primes to be a bit sharper than all their other counterparts, so I guess that would explain things. I definitely prefer the build of the 1.2, though

Adam

04-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm partial to the first picture, but that's just because I like cactus. They seem to be the only house plant that lives for me

I would have also guessed your SMC 50 1.2

I just turned down the chance to get a FA* 85/1.4 in exchange for 2 other lenses. I'm suddenly kicking myself, but still hoping that I made the right choice. I'll know next week when they arrive.
04-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

here is a little information about old pentax prime sharpness.
Pentax Lens Review by Peter Spiro
04-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
What two lenses?

Adam