Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
One less worm in my yard...(8 pic series)
Posted By: heliphoto, 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM

8 pics tell the story...

Shot with the "new" Tamron SP LD-IF 400mm f/4 on the matched Tamron 2x TC on a monopod (actually my tripod on one leg). The composition wanders a bit - I'm not so skilled at holding 800mm monopod yet.
Views: 1,629
03-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #2

Hi,

quite impressive for hand/knee-holding with a 2x converter. I have the same lens, but with my 2x converter (tamron 01F) the fringing gets quite strong and sharpness is weak - I prefer croping with the 1.4x. Which one did you use?
Are you selling the BIGMA because you got this lens? I am thinking about doing the opposite, the 400/4 is quite heavy and very often I get blue fringing in high contrast pictures. I alway wonder if the fringing is specific to my example.
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just like a goof flick! There's a beginning and middle and then the ending! Cool JIM
03-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
Hi,

quite impressive for hand/knee-holding with a 2x converter. I have the same lens, but with my 2x converter (tamron 01F) the fringing gets quite strong and sharpness is weak - I prefer croping with the 1.4x. Which one did you use?
Are you selling the BIGMA because you got this lens? I am thinking about doing the opposite, the 400/4 is quite heavy and very often I get blue fringing in high contrast pictures. I alway wonder if the fringing is specific to my example.
Thanks - I was holding the rig on a tripod with one leg extended (think monopod), and with ISO at 800 giving me shutter speeds of 1/1600 it's not too hard to avoid camera shake.

Yeah, I'm selling the BIGMA to fund this lens - too bad I did know your situation, we could have traded . I just got the lens yesterday, but so far I'm very impressed. I think it's sharper than the Bigma, and it's way faster... At 400mm, my Bigma's already f/6.7 (yeah, I know the box/advertisements say f/6.3 or something, but the max aperture extended on Pentax bodies is 6.7) that's 1.7 stops faster for the Tammy (if my math's right). The weight of the Bigma is almost the same as the Tamron, but it's much more compact (the advantage of being slow). The bigma's also useful at shorter focal lengths, but I've got that range pretty well covered with the Tamron 70-200/2.8.

So far the Tamron seems to produce a tad more PF than the Bigma, but the 50-500 will show CA too, esp on a TC, and I think it's a little harder to deal with in post. So far I've been able to kill the CA or PF from the Tamron in post processing without much trouble but I'm sure it'll ruin some shots for me... I think it's likely that I'll get more keepers from the Tamron though when all factors are considered - It's much easier to manually focus, since the focus ring on the Bigma's awkwardly close to the camera, and a bit touchy. I find I MF most birds and wildlife so the "tracking" is better (now I'll have to MF).

Sharpness? Here's a center crop from the third pic in the series (100%)...

I'm impressed (remember it's on a 2x TC here) . Note you can see a hint of CA on the feather just right of center on the top of the frame. I'm pretty certain the Sigma would not have rendered that sharply on the 1.5 TC I've used with it - even at closer range. I'm happy with the lens so far .

03-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jim, the series tells the story for sure...
03-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series, first though why so many but when viewed they are all needed to the series!
03-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HaHa nice series Josh love #2 where the bird appears to take a momentary break flips the worm and looks away.
03-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice series, first though why so many but when viewed they are all needed to the series!
Thanks Georg - it's a lot of photos, but I didn't see any which didn't progress the story so I left 'em all in.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
HaHa nice series Josh love #2 where the bird appears to take a momentary break flips the worm and looks away.
Thank you Dave. It seems that lacking hands, these guys have no choice but to toss the worm up and catch it in their mouth... interesting. This bird in particular was decimating the local worm population - I photographed him eating another worm as well, and he just kept at it.