Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not a Pentax - Scuba Time
Posted By: daacon, 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM

My Daughter , her boyrfriend (who we just got certified the day before) and I went into Cozemel one day for a dive. Unfortunatley my Son had a cold and his ears could not clear (we tried the day before). So he missed out on diving this trip - he was a little pissed when he had to come out of the water and back on the boat , but when I got out off the water he said ya know dad, I was pissed , but after a few minutes , sitting on the boat , realizing where I was - I got over it !

I have been told Cozemel offers some of the most scenic areas to dive in the world and is second only to the Great Barrier Reef in Austraila. Our first dive was a place called the Santa Rosa Wall. A huge coral reef about 110 feet down. This was the deepest I had ever been and well it was spectacular. The water is so clear down there even at 100 feet, it's simply amazing.

The dive master had a decent point and shoot encased and he took these shots - only cost a few more pesos to get the images however well worth it as I got the jpgs. Actually I think Josh (the boyfriend) bought the CD so that was nice.

Here is my daughter and her boyfriend

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3327425282_f5d55366c6_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

My daughter Comming though one of the many 'holes' in the reef - a very cool place

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3327424302_d3db12e78a_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Just to prove I was not drinking the entire time there ! The little disopsal camera I had was useless - we used it a Xel Ha for some nice pics. I truly apreacited my K10D after seeing what quality that thing put out. If I go again I swear I am going to buy a hosuing and a decent underwater PS that will good for 100 feet or so.

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/3327423458_96f165a14f_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

A crab

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3326587353_be369f81ab_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Some fish

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3604/3326585617_21b88c6b8a_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Some colorful plant life

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3326584683_44708bfd51_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

It was simply amazing. I now have 12 dives under my belt (including the 4 mandatory open water dives for certification) . I got in 6 dives this trip very cool (a ship wreck dive that was neat - no pics though). A novice for sure , but it is somthing I really enjoy and hope to continue whenever I get a chance. I just need to learn to dive with less weight and control my movements better to preserve oxygen as it is a precious commoditiy down there
Views: 1,517
03-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, these are really nice underwater pics. Those colours underneath the water surface must be breathtaking (...)!
03-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! I used to dive some 30 years ago, maybe I will get back to it some day, you certainly got me inspired!
03-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Really nice! I wouldnt be brave to scuba dive in deeper water

03-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Wow, these are really nice underwater pics. Those colours underneath the water surface must be breathtaking (...)!
Thanks Rense there is nothing liek the blue, green clear water of the Caribbean.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great shots! I used to dive some 30 years ago, maybe I will get back to it some day, you certainly got me inspired!
haha too funny I started when I was 49 - I do enjoy it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ohfrankyboy Quote
Really nice! I wouldnt be brave to scuba dive in deeper water
It's not scary down there at all I think as long as you not chlosterphobic you would be fine (and of course you like the water and can swim).
03-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nice story and a great series - great job of capturing pictures of "another world". Also it's nice to know you can re-emerge in this one (including its cold beer) by going straight up.

Jer
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dave, you are really having fun here. The whole family went with you.

The under water photography are not easy at all. So much fun going through the journey with you

03-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
jeffkpotter

Fabulous images. I especially like the monster crab and the last one.
03-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A nice story and a great series - great job of capturing pictures of "another world". Also it's nice to know you can re-emerge in this one (including its cold beer) by going straight up.
Jer
haha Thanks Jer - yes indeed good point ! But here you need a saftey stop @ about 15 feet for 3 minutes while with the beer ... hahaha

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Dave, you are really having fun here. The whole family went with you.
The under water photography are not easy at all. So much fun going through the journey with you
Thanks James my son could not go he was bummed and my wife does not dive - the other couple we were with and thier two kids dive as well so we had a few. Can't take credit for the shots - it was all the divemaster he has been doing it for 13 years so pratice makes perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Fabulous images. I especially like the monster crab and the last one.
Thanks Jeff it was cool indeed to see where these creatures live.