Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Dog Agility (non Pentax)
Posted By: palmor, 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Hi everyone,
I was debating on whether to post these since they aren't taken with a Pentax camera but you guys are my "photographic community" so to speak and that is more import then the camera I take the photos with IMO . If there is even a minor outcry about posting them here I'll refrain the future.

So onto the photos

Ash had another agility practice today indoors but in a "bubble/ten". This made the lighting very even (almost like a light box). He only got 2 runs in and there wasn't a real good vantage point for a lot of the jumps (you can only stand on one side). I made the mistake of not taking these at f/2.8 to make the DOF shallower, to try to blur the really messy backgrounds.

If anyone with any exp taking these types of photos I'm all ears. Once the agility season starts for him (at the end of April) I'll be trying to take some "hang on the wall" worthy photos of him and his classmates.

Thanks
John

Oh, I just saw that this is my 500th post! hehe

1/800s f/8.0 at 200.0mm iso1250

These two are a sequence, right before the jump and during. I let up on the shutter before he landed for some reason.

1/2000s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso800

1/2500s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso800

Views: 1,876
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I imagine that it's all about angle and composition (not to mention timing) for these shots. Is there any way to get close to the dog when it's jumping? Might try different perspectives, essentially shots from angles that most observers wouldn't be at: low, high, side, etc.

And since people probably want to know, what camera was this?
03-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

EOS 40D?? SCANDALOUS!

A very nice series of pictures. Just as good as the ones made with the K-cam, IMO.
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I imagine that it's all about angle and composition (not to mention timing) for these shots. Is there any way to get close to the dog when it's jumping? Might try different perspectives, essentially shots from angles that most observers wouldn't be at: low, high, side, etc.

And since people probably want to know, what camera was this?
Thanks, a lot depends on the venue about the angle and how close you can get. One of the things you have to be very careful is to not put yourself in a place to distract the dogs. In general I think a lower angle is better for these but every place has a different height fence. The fence here is close to chest high so there is now way to get a low angle.

It was a Canon 40D with a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (non IS)

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
EOS 40D?? SCANDALOUS!

A very nice series of pictures. Just as good as the ones made with the K-cam, IMO.
Hehe, yes SCANDALOUS!

Thanks
John

03-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Great action shots there, nice work!
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love it! It is always good to see what other cams do in the hands of those who know what they are doing. I for one am impressed with the results, though I suspect you would have got the Same results with a Nikon or a Pentax...Having said that, I am also glad you shared them. To often people are to busy arguing about equipment instead of taking and posting pictures..Well done!
03-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil

now thats put aside great capture a picture is a picture

cheers

03-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonderfull freeze acction shots regardless of the tool , these are good shots (but thik how much better they could have been with a Pentax ) - Nice series.
03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey John,

Are you doing any focus-trap or pre-focus on an obstacle or specific point on the course? This technique is common with many kinds of sports - cycling/motorsport, etc.

Sweet shots!

Cheers,
Marc
03-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice pics and a stunningly beautiful dog! Just a beautiful animal that looks like he's a ton of fun.
03-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I love it! It is always good to see what other cams do in the hands of those who know what they are doing. I for one am impressed with the results, though I suspect you would have got the Same results with a Nikon or a Pentax...Having said that, I am also glad you shared them. To often people are to busy arguing about equipment instead of taking and posting pictures..Well done!
Thanks jgredline. I admit I was very hesitant to post these photos here and why I didn't even mention what cam I took them with. What I forgot to do was strip out the EXIF data so in the end it didn't matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wonderfull freeze acction shots regardless of the tool , these are good shots (but thik how much better they could have been with a Pentax ) - Nice series.
Thanks daacon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hey John,

Are you doing any focus-trap or pre-focus on an obstacle or specific point on the course? This technique is common with many kinds of sports - cycling/motorsport, etc.

Sweet shots!

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc. I will prefocus on the 1st jump or some other obstacle if I have time just to get the AF in the right vicinity. If I'm following the dog from obstacle to obstacle I don't have time but that hasn't been a problem (yet).

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Nice pics and a stunningly beautiful dog! Just a beautiful animal that looks like he's a ton of fun.
Thanks maxwell. We do get a lot of comments on his markings (even for an Aussie) but we try not to let it get to his head too much .

John
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots! Nicely stopped action, the last is my favourite!