Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
More Dog Agility (non Pentax)
Posted By: palmor, 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Hi everyone,
I was debating on whether to post these since they aren't taken with a Pentax camera but you guys are my "photographic community" so to speak and that is more import then the camera I take the photos with IMO . If there is even a minor outcry about posting them here I'll refrain the future.

So onto the photos

Ash had another agility practice today indoors but in a "bubble/ten". This made the lighting very even (almost like a light box). He only got 2 runs in and there wasn't a real good vantage point for a lot of the jumps (you can only stand on one side). I made the mistake of not taking these at f/2.8 to make the DOF shallower, to try to blur the really messy backgrounds.

If anyone with any exp taking these types of photos I'm all ears. Once the agility season starts for him (at the end of April) I'll be trying to take some "hang on the wall" worthy photos of him and his classmates.


Thanks
John

Oh, I just saw that this is my 500th post! hehe

1/800s f/8.0 at 200.0mm iso1250



These two are a sequence, right before the jump and during. I let up on the shutter before he landed for some reason.

1/2000s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso800


1/2500s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso800

Views: 1,655
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member
krypticide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,079
I imagine that it's all about angle and composition (not to mention timing) for these shots. Is there any way to get close to the dog when it's jumping? Might try different perspectives, essentially shots from angles that most observers wouldn't be at: low, high, side, etc.

And since people probably want to know, what camera was this?
03-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
EOS 40D?? SCANDALOUS!



A very nice series of pictures. Just as good as the ones made with the K-cam, IMO.
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member
palmor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 798
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I imagine that it's all about angle and composition (not to mention timing) for these shots. Is there any way to get close to the dog when it's jumping? Might try different perspectives, essentially shots from angles that most observers wouldn't be at: low, high, side, etc.

And since people probably want to know, what camera was this?
Thanks, a lot depends on the venue about the angle and how close you can get. One of the things you have to be very careful is to not put yourself in a place to distract the dogs. In general I think a lower angle is better for these but every place has a different height fence. The fence here is close to chest high so there is now way to get a low angle.

It was a Canon 40D with a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (non IS)

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
EOS 40D?? SCANDALOUS!



A very nice series of pictures. Just as good as the ones made with the K-cam, IMO.
Hehe, yes SCANDALOUS!


Thanks
John

03-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,100
Great action shots there, nice work!
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,627
I love it! It is always good to see what other cams do in the hands of those who know what they are doing. I for one am impressed with the results, though I suspect you would have got the Same results with a Nikon or a Pentax...Having said that, I am also glad you shared them. To often people are to busy arguing about equipment instead of taking and posting pictures..Well done!
03-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,818
Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil

now thats put aside great capture a picture is a picture



cheers
03-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
Wonderfull freeze acction shots regardless of the tool , these are good shots (but thik how much better they could have been with a Pentax ) - Nice series.

03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
Hey John,

Are you doing any focus-trap or pre-focus on an obstacle or specific point on the course? This technique is common with many kinds of sports - cycling/motorsport, etc.

Sweet shots!

Cheers,
Marc
03-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member
maxwell1295's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,703
Nice pics and a stunningly beautiful dog! Just a beautiful animal that looks like he's a ton of fun.
03-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member
palmor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 798
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I love it! It is always good to see what other cams do in the hands of those who know what they are doing. I for one am impressed with the results, though I suspect you would have got the Same results with a Nikon or a Pentax...Having said that, I am also glad you shared them. To often people are to busy arguing about equipment instead of taking and posting pictures..Well done!
Thanks jgredline. I admit I was very hesitant to post these photos here and why I didn't even mention what cam I took them with. What I forgot to do was strip out the EXIF data so in the end it didn't matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wonderfull freeze acction shots regardless of the tool , these are good shots (but thik how much better they could have been with a Pentax ) - Nice series.
Thanks daacon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hey John,

Are you doing any focus-trap or pre-focus on an obstacle or specific point on the course? This technique is common with many kinds of sports - cycling/motorsport, etc.

Sweet shots!

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc. I will prefocus on the 1st jump or some other obstacle if I have time just to get the AF in the right vicinity. If I'm following the dog from obstacle to obstacle I don't have time but that hasn't been a problem (yet).

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Nice pics and a stunningly beautiful dog! Just a beautiful animal that looks like he's a ton of fun.
Thanks maxwell. We do get a lot of comments on his markings (even for an Aussie) but we try not to let it get to his head too much .



John
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member
gawan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,400
Wonderful shots! Nicely stopped action, the last is my favourite!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
agility, camera, f/4.0, iso800, pentax, photo, photos, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sports 13 High ISO indoor dog agility photos (non Pentax) palmor Post Your Photos! 15 01-21-2010 05:11 AM
ISO3200 Dog Agility with New Sigma 70-200 EX HSM palmor Post Your Photos! 17 09-27-2009 06:11 PM
Dog Agility palmor Post Your Photos! 5 06-23-2009 06:35 PM
Dog Agility Poster palmor Post Your Photos! 10 06-03-2009 02:07 AM
Who here is into dog agility? BPT General Talk 6 05-14-2009 07:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top