Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Papillons en liberte - Butterflies go free
Posted By: ve2vfd, 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Here are a few of my pics from the "Papillons en liberté" (Butterflies go free) exhibition at the Montreal Botanical Gardens.

Every year, from late feb to early april the botanical gardens spawn thousands of butterflies in their tropical hothouse. A few of the Montreal area Pentax Forums users had a casual get together there bright and early sunday morning.

3 -

4 - This is a butterfly that landed on my sleeve and got up close and personnal with me

5 - A bonzai and I think it's soapstone arrangement

Pat
Views: 1,298
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great shots Pat! Number 2 is very pretty.

I visited those gardens a couple years back and was quite impressed. However, they would not allow me to use my monopod so all shots were hand held. They claimed the policy was so photographers would not restrict the pedestrian traffic in the building. We went on a week day in late October and there was a grand total of 10 people in the entire complex.

Ah well, it is a great photographic destination regardless of stupid policies!

Hopefully you, or someone in your group, will have more images to share.
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice work here.

The butterflies look so clear, full of details.

It is about time for me to get some butterfly pics too
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are all great Pat. JIM

03-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
jeffkpotter

Absolutely superb!
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pat, #3 is a runaway favorite of mine. Absolutely stunning shot, everything about it is just perfect. #2 is great as well, the only thing I dislike about it are the shadows underneath the butterfly.
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wonderfull shots Pat - must hurt to go into the garden then walk outside !

03-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
J.Scott ... Thanks!!! It is a great place to visit! I guess the no mono/tripods rule is because on weeked it's "standing room only" in there. We got there at opening, and within an hour it was as packed as the Tokyo subway during rush hour!

roentarre ... Thanks, I am actually surprised how clear some of the pics came out considering most were taken with my 55-300 and lighting was not ideal.

Jimbo ... Thanks!

jeffkpotter ... Thanks!

RBellavance ... Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have to admit the nasty shadows on #2 have been bothering me since I first saw them... I've been debating wether to photoshop them out or not. In the end I decided against. I may give it a shot...

Dave ... Thanks! Actually it was a relief to go outside... that hothouse was a tropical setup (hot and a zillion % humidity), going into the "desert" hothouse after that was nice, and going outside in a sunny +5C day was heaven!

Pat