Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Need some honest opinions...(5 pics)
Posted By: TYOsborn, 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

This is my granddaughter. Of course I think she's beautiful. I took some pics of her at the park today. I think she's model material. I honestly would like to know what you all think. She's 8 by the way... and loves the camera.

Views: 2,176
03-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm no expert on 8-year old beauty queens, but I can say without reservation that she's a very cute kid! Lots of expression in her eyes, she appears to have the ability to talk to the camera.

On the technical side, the shot itself could really benefit from some fill flash. The natural hairlight is really great. Or you could turn her around and shoot with the sun to your rear-side or back. Her face would be well lit that way.

- Andrew
03-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I'm no expert on 8-year old beauty queens, but I can say without reservation that she's a very cute kid! Lots of expression in her eyes, she appears to have the ability to talk to the camera.

On the technical side, the shot itself could really benefit from some fill flash. The natural hairlight is really great. Or you could turn her around and shoot with the sun to your rear-side or back. Her face would be well lit that way.

- Andrew
You're right... I actually will use that advice if we decide to get her into modeling (for a portfolio maybe?). It was just a day at the park with grandma shooting pics.
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Fill flash or go to the craft store and get a large white foam core project board and have her (or someone else) hold it horizontally at chest level to reflect sunlight up her face.

It would add some soft diffused light which would break up shadows and light up her face quite pleasantly.

Pat

03-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
I used Picasa to lighten up. Better?

03-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Definately like the lighten version though still a little unexposed. Flash fill will help as already suggested. Beautiful little girl. JIM
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
jeffkpotter

Your grandaughter is a natural. She's got a lot of sass. You need to lighten up on your exposures slightly otherwise everything is perfect. Great captures!

03-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Your grandaughter is a natural. She's got a lot of sass. You need to lighten up on your exposures slightly otherwise everything is perfect. Great captures!
Thanks! Oh if you only knew just how much sass she has. The camera has always loved her and thank goodness she loves it too.
03-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree not shy of the camera and her eyes speak volumes.
03-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

These are all great, I'm sure she could pose professionally if wanted to. Go to an agency and find out
03-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

What you need in these images is not more exposure, although that will help a bit, but rather fill-in light. Try a flash at half or quarter power so as not to ruin the beautiful natural highlights on the hair and around the head.

JMR
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Agree with all of these comments; as the father of an 8-yr old boy and 10-yr old girl, I'm often in the midst of children your grandaughter's age and can often "see" those whom have a natural affinity for a camera. Your grandaughter definitely has a natural affinity and she's cute to boot! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing her on the cover of a magazine before long.
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I love the series! Beautiful and lively girl — good images, lightening them does help!
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lightening the photos in post processing did help a little bit, but ideally, you probably should have used some fill-flash or reflectors to get some light onto her face, rotating her so that she was facing more to her left, and there's some sunlight shining on her face would be another suggestion.

I like the way the sunlight reflects off her hair, and the expression you've caught on the second photo is great:
03-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Lightening the photos in post processing did help a little bit, but ideally, you probably should have used some fill-flash or reflectors to get some light onto her face, rotating her so that she was facing more to her left, and there's some sunlight shining on her face would be another suggestion.

I like the way the sunlight reflects off her hair, and the expression you've caught on the second photo is great:
Thanks for everyone's comments. She's the only grandchild that doesn't grown when I take her pics now.

Can anyone recommend a book or a website with instructions on how to use lighting? Perhaps some not so expensive lighting techniques? I currently don't own any flashes or flash equipment. I should probably ask this question in another forum as well. What would be some good starter flash equipment?