Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
ISO 1600 test shots...Barred Owl
Posted By: sawtooth235, 03-17-2009, 07:35 AM

I was out doing some test shots with a Vivitar 300mm f5.5 that I recently disassembled and cleaned fungus out of when this young Barred Owl flew into the tree about 20 yards from me. He was hiding in the shadows so I decided to try to up the ISO to 1600 and see how they turned out. PP was adjust white balance, highpass sharpen, and slight noise reduction all done in Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2.

*ist DL2, Vivitar 300mm f5.5 T-4 Pentax Screw mount, ISO 1600, Shutter speed 180th of a second, Aperture f8.0, distance 25-30 feet.

Image #1

Image #2

Image #3

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Ray
Views: 2,034
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice Ray! How lucky they owl just flew in when you needed a subject. Focus looks a touch sharper to me in #2 and #3, so I prefer those two...

The only notable deficiency is the chromatic aberration and purple fringing visible, which is of course common when shooting leaves and branches against the bright sky (especially with some older lenses). Luckily, neither the subject nor the background contain cyan (the prominent CA color I see) or purple. You can use your processing software to desaturate these colors, and probably darken them somewhat to match the surrounding bark/leaves/feathers in tone as well... I've had very good luck with this sort of CA removal, though if I have a subject with colors matching the undesired one (ie. PF present, but also purple flowers), the work becomes much harder.

Here's #2 with a quick and dirty CA removal (if it bothers you that I edited and reposted the shot, please let me know and I'll take it right down)...

03-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to see birds like these. The picture is beautiful. Maybe you can do en denoise on the picture except the Owl.
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Well captured Ray, I bet you were happy about it.

Without disparaging Josh's PP work, I think it would be better to clone out that patch of sky completely. It should be easy for the first two and three is manageable, the leaves should be easy to use to fill in.

03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good captures Ray!
03-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Nice Ray! How lucky they owl just flew in when you needed a subject. Focus looks a touch sharper to me in #2 and #3, so I prefer those two...

The only notable deficiency is the chromatic aberration and purple fringing visible, which is of course common when shooting leaves and branches against the bright sky (especially with some older lenses). Luckily, neither the subject nor the background contain cyan (the prominent CA color I see) or purple. You can use your processing software to desaturate these colors, and probably darken them somewhat to match the surrounding bark/leaves/feathers in tone as well... I've had very good luck with this sort of CA removal, though if I have a subject with colors matching the undesired one (ie. PF present, but also purple flowers), the work becomes much harder.

Here's #2 with a quick and dirty CA removal (if it bothers you that I edited and reposted the shot, please let me know and I'll take it right down)...

Josh,

That looks really good. I don't object to your effort at all, in fact I appreciate that you would take the time to help me learn.

QuoteOriginally posted by Corros Quote
Great to see birds like these. The picture is beautiful. Maybe you can do en denoise on the picture except the Owl.
Corros,

That is a very good idea. I tried to do a noise reduction of the entire image, but the owl got very soft.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Well captured Ray, I bet you were happy about it.

Without disparaging Josh's PP work, I think it would be better to clone out that patch of sky completely. It should be easy for the first two and three is manageable, the leaves should be easy to use to fill in.
Gary,

I like it, that way I can use skills that I have already mastered to do a fast improvement. (I'll definitely try the other suggestions when I get some free time. I do want to learn more about editing, but getting free time is so difficult in this economy.)

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Good captures Ray!
Georg,

Thank you very much.

Ray
03-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the foreground bokeh--it's a wonderful effect. That and the subject (owls are really special!) make any minor IQ issues pretty much irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

03-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice capture Ray. I haven't took a picture of a Owl yet. JIM
03-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I really like the foreground bokeh--it's a wonderful effect. That and the subject (owls are really special!) make any minor IQ issues pretty much irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
I am very fortunate that my neighborhood has several Barred Owls that are always buzzing about and calling. My next goal is to get one of them in-flight in a image.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Nice capture Ray. I haven't took a picture of a Owl yet. JIM
Jim,

I hadn't ever gotten one myself until I move to this neighborhood in Northeastern Florida. If I get the in-flight image that I trying for, you can bet that I'll be posting that one.

Ray
03-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If I get the in-flight image that I trying for, you can bet that I'll be posting that one.

Ray
Good luck Ray and I want to see that one too! JIM
03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing these cool shots Ray!
03-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Good luck Ray and I want to see that one too! JIM
Jim,

Don't hold your breath, it may be a while the way I'm going, LOL.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thanks for sharing these cool shots Ray!
Jewelltrail,

Thanks for the nice compliment. It was my pleasure to share.

Ray