Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. (many images)
Posted By: Jonson PL, 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM

In February I was in Canada skiing. A great country and friendly people. Great nature, and not the lines that are normal in Europe, and not as crowded. In can be chilly though, and this season they hadn’t gotten the major snowfall as former years; (lowest in 18 years).

We flew to Calgary and started out in Kicking Horse resort :

They had some power outage, so we started the day chillin, prior to riding
# 1

# 2

# 3

# 4

Finally we could hit the slopes :
# 5

# 6

I really enjoyed the 43 lmt. That I had gotten just prior to the vacation. With the semi-pancake design, it hardly took up any space or weight in the backpack. And together with the sealed K10, it was a sweet package.
We were also in Banff, which is a national park, so always a lot of scenery and wildlife around :

(tight crop of raven)

Kicking Horse have an overview of the Colorado River Delta (I believe it is). Makes a playground for a lot of birds and wildlife :
# 8

# 9

(some dust bonnies)

# 10

# 11

dinner always welcome, after a day on the slopes
# 12

# 13

experimenting with multi-exposure, so I can get it right when I need it
# 14

Toyota Tacoma
# 15

# 16

I also got to try cross country skiing for the first time, not as easy as it looked. Where are the brakes on those things :-?
# 17

# 18

# 19

# 20

# 21

Why not repeat a success :

# 22

# 23

# 24

# 25

# 26

# 27

# 28

Thanks for watching, (sorry if I lined up to many in the first post). Comments and critique always welcome

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-22-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Views: 4,099
03-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

Sorry, that picture just made me think of that...
I don’t know the quote, is it from some movie ?

Actually the difference between Europe and Canada can be striking. In Canada the warning signs about slowing down, comes up in very good time. As a European, when we pass them, it seems like nothing was happening, so we pick up speed again. But then just 20 meters ahead, was what the signs were referring too, and we have to make quick brakes.

Also in the lines, there are much more behaved culture of how to do things. So when we arrive with our pushy mentality, we always disturb the fine way things are done. We had gotten more used to it now, but last time around, somebody said to another : “Don’t worry they are not from around here”

03-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickhh Quote
If you don't have a colorimeter (highly recommended), you can use a simple gamma chart like this
Gamma Adjustment
and adjust brightness & contrast until you can distinguish all the gray shades.
colorimeter, is that one of those spider gadgets that you put on the screen to help it be set automatically ?
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm too much of a n00b with this new HP computer, I can't even find where to set colour, brightness and contrast on this labtop monitor . It used to be easier when it was just at the bottom of the old big monitors standing on the desk. (I tried the control panel, but couldn't find where to make the settings)
03-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Your action shots are not bad. But next time you shoot in and around snow, use 1/2 to 1 stop overexposure to compensate for the white snow. I always start at 1/2, or more, the brighter it is outside.
I’m very thankful for the tips you’re all providing. Will be a big help, next time I’m doing my wintertime photography.

I had sometimes added 1/3 or 2/3 extra EV, but I see from people posting that I could easily have done more. (And my adjusting back in postprocessing haven’t helped , but I’m having a friend come by and help me calibrate my monitor later). Can't figure out how to change contrast, colour and generel brightness on this my new HP laptop . Guess I'm not the most technical type

Having gotten feedback in this thread, might have helped me do a bit better, when I showed the pictures from jumps & tricks :

I’m pretty much exiting from DPr, have gotten a bit tired of the direction of things, but made a few last threads :
Boarding and skiing competition: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Pentax and Heli-skiing: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-21-2009 at 07:26 AM.
03-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
It used to be easier when it was just at the bottom of the old big monitors standing on the desk.
I just plug one of my old big monitors into the back of my laptop and stand it on my desk

03-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Nice series of photos, Sune. Love the ski action shots.

Is that really you, the handsome man next to the beautiful lady in shot #17?

The sushi makes me drool!
Yup that would be me, next to my sweet cousin.
Doubt I left much of an impression on passerby’s from my Nordic skiing ability; whenever there was a chance for a faceplant I pretty much took it. Any small hill, and no tracks, I was certain to perform. For sure a big difference between cross-country and slalom.

Sushi is awesome, for sure

Always a lot of fun with all the Australians and Kiwis in the stores, you people sure get around. They said that half the people working in the stores, were from Australia or New Zealand

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-21-2009 at 08:40 PM.
03-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great ski pictures. I have been wanting to get up to Kicking Horse for years. It looks like a great to place to ski. Were all of the photos from there? The second group looked like a very different mountain.

Steve
Well spottet. The second group is from Panorama, a mountain a few hours from Kicking Horse.
Whistler is a grand area, but Banff, Kicking Horse and Lake Louise have their charm too. A lot of people talked about Revelstoke also