Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

First shots w/ the Jupiter-9
Posted By: deadwolfbones, 03-18-2009, 10:56 AM

It's been a week of trying out new lenses.

Yesterday after work I played around with the J-9 a bit for the first time. Noticed that the fit on the K20D (using the genuine M42->K adapter) is slightly loose/wobbly (same complaint a lot of forum users have had about some Helios 44 models, I guess). Is this common for the J-9? I have this version: http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/images/Zenit_Jupiter-9_85mm_2.0_small.jpg

I also found the preset to be a lot easier to use than I'd anticipated. I love the fluidity of the aperture in this setup.

Some of these will look familiar to those who saw my DA 35mm thread. Trying to shoot the same subjects when testing out lenses.

All shot @ either f/4 or f/2:

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 03-18-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Views: 3,014
03-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting with the J9 pics. I have an interest in this lens too, so it is great to see pics with it. The pics sell me..........but---like the Helios, the "wobbly" lens is not something I welcome, though I realize it is a non-issue for many shooters here.

03-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
You know, I was going to do that. Then I checked to make really sure and it's actually metal after all :x But it just feels so loose and imprecise I thought it had to be plastic. It doesn't even stop closing the aperture to higher number if you turn the closing dial too hard :/
Too bad. It sounds like it may have been damaged at some point.

Steve
03-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thanks for posting with the J9 pics. I have an interest in this lens too, so it is great to see pics with it. The pics sell me..........but---like the Helios, the "wobbly" lens is not something I welcome, though I realize it is a non-issue for many shooters here.
The wobble seems to be a strange problem. Several forum members own or have owned Jupiter-9s. A few have complained of wobble. Whether this is a characteristic of particular versions of the lens or perhaps even the K-mount adapters is not clear.

Steve
03-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I'd really like to look more deeply into the issue, but I'm scared of getting more crap on my sensor.

03-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, I'd really like to look more deeply into the issue, but I'm scared of getting more crap on my sensor.
More crap on the sensor? Are you saying that there is an air gap into the mirror box?

Does the lens wobble on the adapter or does the adapter wobble in the mount? Wobble on M42 body?

Steve
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
More crap on the sensor? Are you saying that there is an air gap into the mirror box?

Does the lens wobble on the adapter or does the adapter wobble in the mount? Wobble on M42 body?

Steve
No no... I just mean that I don't want to fiddle with taking the lens on and off more than I need to, for fear for getting more dust on the sensor in the process.

It doesn't wobble on my Spotmatic. Can't tell if the wobble is on the mount itself or on the adapter. No other M42 lenses wobble on my K20D, though.
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No no... I just mean that I don't want to fiddle with taking the lens on and off more than I need to, for fear for getting more dust on the sensor in the process.
Got it

Steve
03-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

Steve
It seems it would almost have to be a case of the adapter wobbling on the mount. The M42 is a machined thread: the male (lens) and female (adapter)are a mated pairing--I can't see a wobble coming from here.

I have to admit I have not owned this lens, nor the Helios, but do have a few decades in the repair business. There are several threads on the forum on how to strengthen the grip the adapter gets in the camera mount, with a simple whack of a hammer on the adapter's ears.

This makes sense with what you guys say about the lens' narrow base. If there is less of a lens base to butt against the camera body, then the adapter is forced to tighten its grip even more than usual to stabilize the lens.

Just1moredave's recent post on the possible new-found utility of a flanged adapter may apply here: depending of course, upon the amount of infinity focus adjustment this lens has. Just an idea.........

03-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #24
Igilligan

That is exactly the issue with the 44-4

The base of the Helios 44-4 sits against the m42-K adaptor but not one part of the lens actually touches the silver lens mount on the camera. So the weight of the lens is completely being supported my the adaptor.... Any slight play in the adaptor as it sits in the camera and it wobble since the lense is not resting on the camera.

My J-9 has a little bit of the lens base that rests against the silver lens mount on the camera. My Helios 44M is like my Taks... it sits and completely covers the silver mount.

does that make any sense? If not I will try and post some pics tomorrow.
03-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Igilligan That is exactly the issue with the 44-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The base of the Helios 44-4 sits against the m42-K adaptor but not one part of the lens actually touches the silver lens mount on the camera. So the weight of the lens is completely being supported my the adaptor.... Any slight play in the adaptor as it sits in the camera and it wobble since the lense is not resting on the camera.

My J-9 has a little bit of the lens base that rests against the silver lens mount on the camera. My Helios 44M is like my Taks... it sits and completely covers the silver mount.

does that make any sense? If not I will try and post some pics tomorrow.
Yes, it makes perfect sense and supports what I have been guessing for sometime now. Thanks Gus--I have been trying to get some answers on this issue in earlier posts--now I have one. How much infinity focus do you have with your Helios 44-4 & with your J9? If there is plenty, a flanged M42 adapter just might solve the issue for good. I'll wait to hear from one of you guys who own these lenses.
03-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #26
Igilligan

I just tried the 44-4

That is a good thought... I just tried the Helios 44-4 with a flanged adaptor and it completely solves the wobble issue. Although the infinity focus is gone and it looks to only focus about ten feet away. I will make a real test in the daylight tomorrow.
03-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #27
axl
Inactive Account

they seem pretty good to me. I saw copy of that lens around my area and I'm thinking wether to get it for my sister's wedding or not.
Could you post bunch of pics only @ f2? And how do you find metering?

BR
03-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a good copy indeed - sharp shots.
03-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
they seem pretty good to me. I saw copy of that lens around my area and I'm thinking wether to get it for my sister's wedding or not.
Could you post bunch of pics only @ f2? And how do you find metering?

BR
I can try this tonight. As for metering, it was accurate in all of the shots I took, but I hear it gets worse at higher f-stops. Or maybe I'm misremembering that?
03-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can try this tonight. As for metering, it was accurate in all of the shots I took, but I hear it gets worse at higher f-stops. Or maybe I'm misremembering that?
Based on my experience with the J-9, metering can be sketchy. The general pattern is fairly severe underexposure at f/2 (I have measured up to 2.5 stops), fairly accurate at f/4-f/5.6 and moderate overexposure at narrower apertures. There is also some variability based on scene brightness and (of all things) distance to subject. I think there is a lot of extraneous light bouncing around the mirror box that is affecting the meter beyond the usual stop-down exposure issues.

As with most non-A lenses, the best approach is to test shoot, chimp the histogram, and apply exposure comp as needed.

Steve