Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

First shots w/ the Jupiter-9
Posted By: deadwolfbones, 03-18-2009, 10:56 AM

It's been a week of trying out new lenses.

Yesterday after work I played around with the J-9 a bit for the first time. Noticed that the fit on the K20D (using the genuine M42->K adapter) is slightly loose/wobbly (same complaint a lot of forum users have had about some Helios 44 models, I guess). Is this common for the J-9? I have this version: http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/images/Zenit_Jupiter-9_85mm_2.0_small.jpg

I also found the preset to be a lot easier to use than I'd anticipated. I love the fluidity of the aperture in this setup.

Some of these will look familiar to those who saw my DA 35mm thread. Trying to shoot the same subjects when testing out lenses.

All shot @ either f/4 or f/2:

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 03-18-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Views: 3,015
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #31
Igilligan

Well I tried with the flanged adaptor...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
That is a good thought... I just tried the Helios 44-4 with a flanged adaptor and it completely solves the wobble issue. Although the infinity focus is gone and it looks to only focus about ten feet away. I will make a real test in the daylight tomorrow.

Ok it is daylight so I did a quick test to see how far I can focus using the flanged M42-K mount adaptor...

On the Helios 44-4 the flange limits focus to about twenty feet.
On the Jupiter 9 the flange limits focus to about 40 feet.
These are not precise, more like guesstimates... but hopefully the info will help.

The flange does stop the wobble though as the flange sits firmly against the camera mount.

P.S. the inability to infinity focus would drive me bonkers unless all I was shooting was macro stuff

03-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Ok it is daylight so I did a quick test to see how far I can focus using the flanged M42-K mount adaptor...

On the Helios 44-4 the flange limits focus to about twenty feet.
On the Jupiter 9 the flange limits focus to about 40 feet.
These are not precise, more like guesstimates... but hopefully the info will help.

The flange does stop the wobble though as the flange sits firmly against the camera mount.

P.S. the inability to infinity focus would drive me bonkers unless all I was shooting was macro stuff
It would drive me bonkers too! I was hoping you might still be able to achieve infinity focus with the flanged adapter--apparently it can be done on some lenses. Oh well, worth the try--at least you know where the wobble originates for sure, and so do I--this is what I was seeking to learn in this exchange. Thanks Gus.
05-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
they seem pretty good to me. I saw copy of that lens around my area and I'm thinking wether to get it for my sister's wedding or not.
Could you post bunch of pics only @ f2? And how do you find metering?

BR
Sorry, I'd forgotten about this. I still don't have a bunch, but I did do a f/2 vs. f/4 comparison last night (first time I've had the lens out in a while):

f/2: deadwolfbones : photos : Random May Junk

f/4: deadwolfbones : photos : Random May Junk