Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First shots w/ the Jupiter-9
Posted By: deadwolfbones, 03-18-2009, 10:56 AM

It's been a week of trying out new lenses.

Yesterday after work I played around with the J-9 a bit for the first time. Noticed that the fit on the K20D (using the genuine M42->K adapter) is slightly loose/wobbly (same complaint a lot of forum users have had about some Helios 44 models, I guess). Is this common for the J-9? I have this version: http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/images/Zenit_Jupiter-9_85mm_2.0_small.jpg

I also found the preset to be a lot easier to use than I'd anticipated. I love the fluidity of the aperture in this setup.

Some of these will look familiar to those who saw my DA 35mm thread. Trying to shoot the same subjects when testing out lenses.

All shot @ either f/4 or f/2:

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 03-18-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Views: 4,305
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To this eye that is very untrained in the ways of all things "old glass," I must say these look darn sharp. I've been playing with my Super Tak and S-M-C Tak as time allows and really love what I see so far; your Jupiter appears to be a knife! At the same time, it offers very nice bokeh. Really nice shots!
03-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wish I had J9 that looked like that. Mine's a nasty plasticky one. Maybe I'll get a new one, even though I don't use this that much (because it's plasticky!) I'm interested in a Helios 44 too, though.

EDIT: Oh yea, nice shots
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Igilligan

congrats...

Holy smokes, you got a great copy of this lens. Sharp!!!! Nice OOF area too.

I too love the pre-set ap style of this lens... set your upper limit and flow thru the available aps...

Mine is not a wobbler... there are a few variations of this and the Helios lenses, so yours may have a slightly smaller base that sits against the camera mount than mine does.
The only Helios 44 I am aware of with the wobble is the 44-4 I think. Mine is so small where it hits the adaptor that the base of the lens does not actually come in contact with the camera mount. Is that the case with your Jupiter 9?

Keep the shots coming... I love the look of this lens.

03-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I wish I had J9 that looked like that. Mine's a nasty plasticky one. Maybe I'll get a new one, even though I don't use this that much (because it's plasticky!) I'm interested in a Helios 44 too, though.

EDIT: Oh yea, nice shots
How do you get a "plasticky" J-9? To the best of my knowledge, all versions are metal and glass throughout and have the weight to prove it! Do you have an earlier silver version, perhaps in M-39 mount?

Steve
03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the base is slightly smaller than the mount base, yeah. I need to try it on my Spotmatic and see if it wobbles there as well.

It is quite sharp, yeah. I spotted some somewhat pronounced CA as well as some of the sort of hazy out of focus areas I sometimes see with other older M42 lenses, but overall I'm pretty impressed.

Though the wobbling is quite disconcerting when the lens is in use, gotta say. It's very slight, but when you're used to a solid lock it feels much more pronounced.

I think my Helios 44M is superior optically, but it's a close race.
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
btw, full-sized versions here: deadwolfbones : photos : Jupiter-9 Test Shots- powered by SmugMug

03-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Holy smokes, you got a great copy of this lens. Sharp!!!! Nice OOF area too.

I too love the pre-set ap style of this lens... set your upper limit and flow thru the available aps...

Mine is not a wobbler... there are a few variations of this and the Helios lenses, so yours may have a slightly smaller base that sits against the camera mount than mine does.
The only Helios 44 I am aware of with the wobble is the 44-4 I think. Mine is so small where it hits the adaptor that the base of the lens does not actually come in contact with the camera mount. Is that the case with your Jupiter 9?

Keep the shots coming... I love the look of this lens.
I agree with Gus...looks like you got a very good copy. As for the wobble...as Gus mentioned, many Jupiter 9s (including mine) have a relatively small diameter base. As a result, the lens base does not extend very far onto the body's mount face and offers little friction or tension against the adapter "ears". This may result in a slight rock or (in the case of my lens/adapter) a bit of rotational looseness. FWIW, there are other M42 lenses that share the same fault.

Steve
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Igilligan

Hi again

It is tough to beat that Helios at F2... I still grin when I load the pics on the computer. But the OOF area of the J-9 has a look that I like a lot.

My helios 44-4 wobbles bad too. It is a shame because I like the pre-set ap on that one too, but because of the wobble I tend to grab the
44-M instead. It has a huge base and mounts firmly against the camera.

The Jupiter does have some CA for sure in contrasty scenes, like many of the older lens the closer you get the exposer, the better. And that hazy thing you are seeing could be some flare, are you using a hood with yours?

Ps what is hanging on the wire in the first shot?
03-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I looked at the full-sized images and you do have a good copy. Your results are similar to my initial test shots from about this time last year. I see the CA you mentioned, but it is pretty minimal, all things considered. You also have a little flare issue. Were you able to get a hood? The J-9 really benefits from having a shade over its big "eye".

Steve
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I looked at the full-sized images and you do have a good copy. Your results are similar to my initial test shots from about this time last year. I see the CA you mentioned, but it is pretty minimal, all things considered. You also have a little flare issue. Were you able to get a hood? The J-9 really benefits from having a shade over its big "eye".

Steve
Yeah, the hood is on the way. Got a metal screw-on one from that one eBay guy everyone recommends. Didn't want to wait for it to get here to try the lens out, though.
03-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Ps what is hanging on the wire in the first shot?
Those are Buddhist prayer flags. My mom (current roommate) is pretty into all of that stuff, which is sort of de rigeur in Santa Fe).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_flags

In the second shot, it's a bird feeder of sorts hanging from the three chains.
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How do you get a "plasticky" J-9? To the best of my knowledge, all versions are metal and glass throughout and have the weight to prove it! Do you have an earlier silver version, perhaps in M-39 mount?

Steve
The aperture selection ring is plastic and very loose. The rest is metal, but that's enough to ruin the feel.
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
The aperture selection ring is plastic and very loose. The rest is metal, but that's enough to ruin the feel.
Truly!

Can you PM me a photo of your lens? (Don't want to hijack this thread.) Is it M42 mount? Do you know the manufacturer? I have an unhealthy interest in the various Russian lenses and had not heard of any plastic construction on a Jupiter-9.

Steve
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Truly!

Can you PM me a photo of your lens? (Don't want to hijack this thread.) Is it M42 mount? Do you know the manufacturer? I have an unhealthy interest in the various Russian lenses and had not heard of any plastic construction on a Jupiter-9.

Steve
You know, I was going to do that. Then I checked to make really sure and it's actually metal after all :x But it just feels so loose and imprecise I thought it had to be plastic. It doesn't even stop closing the aperture to higher number if you turn the closing dial too hard :/