Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Retiring my K10D
Posted By: jgredline, 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Hi folks. Well, I took my K10D out for the last time today. It has been through allot the past couple of years. Actually I bought it in 2006....It has 45209 shutter actuation's..Amazing..I have dropped it out of my truck twice, I dropped it off a bench at the park, I dropped it off a pier 30 feet into the sand, it has been to the desert and been in the rain and it took a faulty trigger switch to do it in...It has been sticking for the past few weeks, but it has gotten to the frustrating point...I thought about sending it to Pentax to have if fixed up, but then I have two K20D's just sitting, so why not send it to the closet....All in all, I could not be more pleased with the product...I kicked its butt and it kept on going...
I took these images yesterday to give it a proper send off...After all it is St Patrick's day..

Views: 7,844
03-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A true workhorse.
A classic 'til the end.
Pictures are great - each telling a story.

My recently acquired *ist D had surpassed 57,000 actuations prior to getting in my hands, and has continued to give me flawless, clean, sharp pictures without a hitch.

Viva la Pentax.
Thank you. I have heard that the *ist D will go well beyond 100,000 shutter actuation's.. Something that needs to be said more often is what true work horses these Pentax products truly are.

03-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great series - a fitting send off indeed. Well done.
Muchas Gracias mi amigo de mexico
03-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Wow, what series! But looking at those images it seems to me like that body is not actually a corpse yet, but live and kicking!
Thanks Georg..It is indeed still working. A new button and it should be good for another 45k actuation's.
03-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Out with the old girl in with the war horse. Nice send off. JIM
Thanks Jim...Tomorrow I will be shooting a war rally, so I will see what I come up with...

03-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On a side note, I was going to post this thread originally in the general pentax section because it is really cool that after all I have put this DSLR through, it is still kicking and going strong (but for the shutter button) but did not want to deal with the flame throwers that are invading PF these days. But the durability of these Pentax bodies is something that should be talked about...I have wondered how the other brands in the same price range and even hire would have held up to what I put mine through? I suspect most would have died after the 30 foot drop from the pier. By the way, the Lens I had on the camera that day was my Sigma 24-70F/2.8 and it did get damaged, but sigma fixed it for me under warranty. In fact, I dropped that combo twice at the beach,,Butter finger...Ok, now I am ranting..
03-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gotta love Hollywood Blvd. Hilarious.
03-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a camera the K10D is as you've shown Javier. I fell last spring on a piece of black ice in a parking lot and my K10D hit HARD on it's corner. My noggin took a good one itself. Didn't faze the 10D, no cracks, nothing misaligned. As I lay there shaking the cobwebs all I could think about was my camera was toast. I was amazed it sustained no damage.
I just got a K20D and I have to say I'm worried about hurting the 10D's feelings:-). It has done nothing to deserve this, only two years of faithful service. I hope you do get yours repaired, it deserves it!

03-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #38
Veteran Member

You made me pause...

You have TWO k20d's just sitting?!? Hmmm....
In any case, if something happened to my k10d, I'd have to either get it fixed or find another to buy used. I really love the k10d and find the images from my k20d give me more noise in the lower iso ranges. All bets are off when it gets into high iso territory though. I am sorry to hear you have to retire your k10d. It would break my heart!
03-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Q. Where was the focus point in the "Shape Up" photo did you have the back focus problem?
03-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
What a camera the K10D is as you've shown Javier. I fell last spring on a piece of black ice in a parking lot and my K10D hit HARD on it's corner. My noggin took a good one itself. Didn't faze the 10D, no cracks, nothing misaligned. As I lay there shaking the cobwebs all I could think about was my camera was toast. I was amazed it sustained no damage.
I just got a K20D and I have to say I'm worried about hurting the 10D's feelings:-). It has done nothing to deserve this, only two years of faithful service. I hope you do get yours repaired, it deserves it!
Then you know first hand how durable these Pentax K10D's are...It is funny, because I have slipped and fell twice while hicking this past year and so has my kid and we are always quick to think of protecting the camera first...
03-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
You have TWO k20d's just sitting?!? Hmmm....
In any case, if something happened to my k10d, I'd have to either get it fixed or find another to buy used. I really love the k10d and find the images from my k20d give me more noise in the lower iso ranges. All bets are off when it gets into high iso territory though. I am sorry to hear you have to retire your k10d. It would break my heart!
La Ree..The reason I have two K20D's is because I had bought Daniel one for Christmas, but when mom found out about it, she had a cow...No way is a 9 year old going to have a camera like that and so forth and really she is right. He is doing fine with his K100D super and film Camera..Anyway, I ended up keeping it as a spare.

I also find the noise thing interesting...
Thanks for the comments
03-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Q. Where was the focus point in the "Shape Up" photo did you have the back focus problem?
Yes, it did back focus. Good catch. I shot that while walking towards them and they where walking towards me, so really it is a good catch as I just pointed the camera in their direction at about 15 feet out and shot...I actually took two but the other came out pretty bad.
03-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While I have still decided to put it away, I am going to send it in to have the shutter release button fixed.
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Javier, those are amazing shots! I'm cracking up - looks like life in LA is really trying hard to imitate art. That girl in the first shot... I don't think she's from this planet.
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
La Ree..The reason I have two K20D's is because I had bought Daniel one for Christmas, but when mom found out about it, she had a cow...No way is a 9 year old going to have a camera like that and so forth and really she is right. He is doing fine with his K100D super and film Camera..Anyway, I ended up keeping it as a spare.
That put a smile on my face.

Shows the love for both your son and photography