Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
adventures photographing kids in challenging light
Posted By: timbo13, 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM

This past weekend I photographed my kids (and some others) in some different challenging light conditions. Overall I was pleased with my results, although the many of the shots are not ideal or my best stuff, I'm glad I was able to get a decent record of things.
Here are some to share.

(click for larger versions)

first up a visit to a farm with some other families, inside a barn there was a pen of baby goats that the kids got to hold. Sunlight through several windows bouncing off all sorts of things, kids milling around, general chaos.
I used my M50/1.7, I think at f2.8, ISO400, 1/20-1/30 sec hand held

my older son:

friend's daughter:

next was bowling - funky colored lights, and more chaos
ISO800, the 50/1.7 again, and a custom WB off a piece of paper

my younger son:

last, a birthday party for my younger son, who just turned 6. We had it at the town hall gymnasium (our town hall used to be the high school years ago) and it was run by a couple of young ladies from the rec dept.
Gym was lit by indirect sunlight and sodium lamps. I tried to shoot in existing light with limited success. ISO 800 around 1/30-1/60

Birthday boy mugging for the camera: (prospec 135mm at f4)

I mounted a flash which let me go to ISO400, shutter at 1/90 to keep some ambient light working. Birthday boy and guest:

My best results for the day came when the kids went into a smaller room to do a craft project and have cake and ice cream, I was able to bounce the flash off the ceiling for a nice soft light.
one of the guests (flushed skin from running around)

thanks for looking, I know these are basically family snapshots, still, I had fun taking them and the Pentax really came through for me.
Views: 1,949
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, nothing beats the expression of kids holding young animals in their laps!
03-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks, Georg!