Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Take a look at my girlfriend
Posted By: ga-hing, 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM

This was my first time playing around using studio strobes, it was a pretty fun experience until my gf started nagging at me that her eyes hurt
Tips/Advice are highly welcomed

Last edited by ga-hing; 03-20-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Views: 3,820
03-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

Original Poster
oops forgot these
Attached Images

03-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the last one best, it exhudes a kind of soothing calmness. I find the tight crop somehow adds to this.
03-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Banned

the last one is excellent.

03-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the first one best - good job.
03-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ga-hing Quote
This was my first time playing around using studio strobes, it was a pretty fun experience until my gf started nagging at me that her eyes hurt
Tips/Advice are highly welcomed
Full frontal lighting with a reflector up that close would hurt anyones eyes after a few pops lol

Did you meter? Classic ratio is ~3:1 (the approx reverse for your backlight for better separation)

Bigger box/umbrella =softer light

There's nothing wrong with flat lighting (there are no "fixed" rules) but to get more depth into the facial/figure features primary lighting and fill at angles (classic lighting) is more flattering and her eyes won't hurt as much Flat lighting is great for taking away imperfections but not classically flattering but the ring light is used by some fashion photographers just for that reason or they got it free.

You can use your eyes to see the results on her face using the modeling light off the strobe when you adjust distances of the primary light and fill light (reflector in your case)

Remember the reflector has 2 sides silver/white,silver/gold or white/gold ...experiment with each side.
if you're not able to meter in camera off the strobe, you'll need to invest in a handheld meter, cheapest being the old analog 9used) meters with strobe attachment or an old analog studio light meter...i still occasionally use my old minolta IV when lighting is absolutely critical (which is usually never as i just P&S a lot now ...lol)
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the comments everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Did you meter? Classic ratio is ~3:1 (the approx reverse for your backlight for better separation)
I don't follow...do you mind dumbing it down for me? haha

There's nothing wrong with flat lighting (there are no "fixed" rules) but to get more depth into the facial/figure features primary lighting and fill at angles (classic lighting) is more flattering and her eyes won't hurt as much Flat lighting is great for taking away imperfections but not classically flattering but the ring light is used by some fashion photographers just for that reason or they got it free.
flat light = straight on? because i had the soft box positioned from top point down at her

Remember the reflector has 2 sides silver/white,silver/gold or white/gold ...experiment with each side.
if you're not able to meter in camera off the strobe, you'll need to invest in a handheld meter, cheapest being the old analog 9used) meters with strobe attachment or an old analog studio light meter...i still occasionally use my old minolta IV when lighting is absolutely critical (which is usually never as i just P&S a lot now ...lol)
There is a meter I can use next time, thanks

03-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd really go for the first one. It seems more expressive.
03-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

I like the second one too. It's an expression halfway between calmness and frustration...

/now I'm going to have that damn song stuck in my head all day - "take a look at my girlfriend...she's the only one i got..."
03-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like both pictures

Full frontal lighting with a reflector up that close would hurt anyones eyes after a few pops lol

Bigger box/umbrella =softer light

You can use your eyes to see the results on her face using the modeling light off the strobe when you adjust distances of the primary light and fill light (reflector in your case)

Thanks for taking the time, to write down the tips
03-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knochelbiter Quote
I like the second one too. It's an expression halfway between calmness and frustration...

/now I'm going to have that damn song stuck in my head all day - "take a look at my girlfriend...she's the only one i got..."
I just got a second copy of Breakfast In America on vinyl yesterday and wondered if the original poster wanted us to comment on the Supertramp reference.
Or not.

But I can help you get the song out of your head with this if you so choose YouTube - The Ting Tings vs The Knack vs Toni Basil - That's Not My Name Mashup - Warning: this may cause discomfort to some.
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Forum Member

See, it's a tough call... try and exorcise the song with another and I risk increasing it's strength... it could metamorphise into "Heart of Glass", or even some Devo (shudder). And once you get Leonard Nimoy's "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" in your head, god help you...

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I just got a second copy of Breakfast In America on vinyl yesterday and wondered if the original poster wanted us to comment on the Supertramp reference.
Or not.

But I can help you get the song out of your head with this if you so choose YouTube - The Ting Tings vs The Knack vs Toni Basil - That's Not My Name Mashup - Warning: this may cause discomfort to some.
03-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I really like the 2nd shot. Try reshooting it with more eye makeup. The fact that her eyes are closed should allow you to accentuate them more (with makeup) than you normally would.
03-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

First one appears more relaxed and natural

The zygoma seems to be rather prominent due to the lighting used.
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
JMR
Veteran Member

When you are trying to achieve something different, so called rules, can be bent. But when doing so, the outcome has to work. I think the second image works well and the crop above the chin coupled with the crop belwo the the top of the head is very creative. It forces us to focus on the face and it in turn evokes a kind of dreaming, at least, to me.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 03-20-2009 at 05:30 PM.
« Still Life | flower »