Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fun with... well you know
Posted By: JMR, 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Yes I had fun with shadows and light; and on the serious side, I guess it is a kind of study in light and shadows.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 03-27-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Views: 1,690
03-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like these. Very different from what we usually see. The first one is my favorite. I like how just the folds are lit, while the shadows are very dark/almost black. Somehow that works better for me than the second shot where the shadows aren't as deep.
03-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I like these. Very different from what we usually see. The first one is my favorite. I like how just the folds are lit, while the shadows are very dark/almost black. Somehow that works better for me than the second shot where the shadows aren't as deep.
Yes, thanks, they are just bed sheets lit by late afternoon light. I underexposed them to leave only the pattern of light as much as possible. However, when the light got subtler and darker, the Pentax sensor would not pick up the low light tones. They went almost black.

JMR
03-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice study of light and shadows, I like the first more, as it has a better abstract nature, there you look at the play of light, in the second the sheet comes more out.

03-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like these, my friend. The other day, in the early part of the morning, I started to shoot the shadow-filled folds of our unmade bed. When my wife said, "if you shoot that picture, I'll shoot you," I retreated. I guess I ain't got your guts.

Jer
03-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice study of light and shadows, I like the first more, as it has a better abstract nature, there you look at the play of light, in the second the sheet comes more out.
Thanks for the comments. Quite right, the second has more of the sheets lit up. I think you will find my experiments of interest. I could not get the Pentax to show any light when the levels dropped to a point where my exposures were about 10 or more seconds. I doubled the exposure to no avail. The sensor is simply not sensitive enough for dark subtle exposures.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like these, my friend. The other day, in the early part of the morning, I started to shoot the shadow-filled folds of our unmade bed. When my wife said, "if you shoot that picture, I'll shoot you," I retreated. I guess I ain't got your guts.

Jer
Oh, I am laughing, to be sure. I had finished taking the images when my wife walked in saying, "What are you doing?" "Oh you know, shooting the light on the walls, the door, that kind of thing."

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 03-21-2009 at 06:42 PM.
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting photos, I like the first one due to its softer focus and lighting.