Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Fun with... well you know
Posted By: JMR, 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Yes I had fun with shadows and light; and on the serious side, I guess it is a kind of study in light and shadows.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 03-27-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Views: 1,352
03-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
I like these. Very different from what we usually see. The first one is my favorite. I like how just the folds are lit, while the shadows are very dark/almost black. Somehow that works better for me than the second shot where the shadows aren't as deep.
03-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,335
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I like these. Very different from what we usually see. The first one is my favorite. I like how just the folds are lit, while the shadows are very dark/almost black. Somehow that works better for me than the second shot where the shadows aren't as deep.
Yes, thanks, they are just bed sheets lit by late afternoon light. I underexposed them to leave only the pattern of light as much as possible. However, when the light got subtler and darker, the Pentax sensor would not pick up the low light tones. They went almost black.

JMR
03-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member
gawan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,407
Nice study of light and shadows, I like the first more, as it has a better abstract nature, there you look at the play of light, in the second the sheet comes more out.

03-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,851
I like these, my friend. The other day, in the early part of the morning, I started to shoot the shadow-filled folds of our unmade bed. When my wife said, "if you shoot that picture, I'll shoot you," I retreated. I guess I ain't got your guts.

Jer
03-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,335
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice study of light and shadows, I like the first more, as it has a better abstract nature, there you look at the play of light, in the second the sheet comes more out.
Thanks for the comments. Quite right, the second has more of the sheets lit up. I think you will find my experiments of interest. I could not get the Pentax to show any light when the levels dropped to a point where my exposures were about 10 or more seconds. I doubled the exposure to no avail. The sensor is simply not sensitive enough for dark subtle exposures.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like these, my friend. The other day, in the early part of the morning, I started to shoot the shadow-filled folds of our unmade bed. When my wife said, "if you shoot that picture, I'll shoot you," I retreated. I guess I ain't got your guts.

Jer
Oh, I am laughing, to be sure. I had finished taking the images when my wife walked in saying, "What are you doing?" "Oh you know, shooting the light on the walls, the door, that kind of thing."

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 03-21-2009 at 06:42 PM.
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Adelaide, Sth Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Interesting photos, I like the first one due to its softer focus and lighting.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, fun, light, photo, shadows
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Just for fun slowpez Post Your Photos! 3 10-29-2010 03:24 PM
Fun jeffkrol General Talk 0 10-11-2010 04:48 PM
Fun Atindra Post Your Photos! 3 09-17-2008 10:18 PM
Ringlight final test... fun fun fun! codiac2600 Post Your Photos! 16 02-04-2008 12:33 AM
Just having fun dbh Post Your Photos! 4 03-25-2007 12:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top