Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Palm Beach Osprey
Posted By: sawtooth235, 03-21-2009, 01:33 PM

While driving around the Palm Beach area in South Florida I came across this Osprey and his freshly caught meal.

Taken with my K100D, Sigma 100-300mm zoom at 300mm, 1/500th second at f6.7, ISO 400.

Image #1

Image #2

C & C always welcome.

Ray
Views: 1,315
03-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, I have a couple nesting about 150 yards from my door, when the weather improves I'm going to try and get a shot or two.
03-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Your getting a few chances at this bird! Little more difficult being far away from the shot. Well done. JIM
03-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iced Quote
Great shots, I have a couple nesting about 150 yards from my door, when the weather improves I'm going to try and get a shot or two.
Iced,

You are lucky to have them so close by. This one was in a nature preserve area that is located adjacent to an industrial part I was visiting. There was a second one that got skitish and flew off while I was parking my car and getting my camera out of the gadget bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Your getting a few chances at this bird! Little more difficult being far away from the shot. Well done. JIM
Jim,

Mine aren't quite as sharp as those taken by Helliophoto (sp.), but he has much better glass than I do.

Ray

03-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Simple background good shots - well done.
03-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Simple background good shots - well done.
Dave,

The sky was very cloudy, but it was about 1:00 PM and the exposure value for the sky just went outside of the dynamic range of the sensor once the bird was exposed properly so I got a stark white background.

Ray
03-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Jim,

Mine aren't quite as sharp as those taken by Helliophoto (sp.), but he has much better glass than I do.

Ray
Hey ray, those are great! (it's heliphoto BTW, like helicopter and telephoto ) I think they're probably nearly as sharp, but the harsh light is hiding some of the details (the white feathers blending in with the white sky - I was lucky with a nice muted background and dappled sunlight). Great job with the exposure on these - did you spot meter? I have a habit of always metering on matrix mode and just eyeballing the amount of +/- EV I need based on the scene, In this case it looks like maybe +1.3 give or take a .3... Great work in any case as the exposure looks right on. I guess the birds are going to keep cooperating for a bit.

03-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Hey ray, those are great! (it's heliphoto BTW, like helicopter and telephoto ) I think they're probably nearly as sharp, but the harsh light is hiding some of the details (the white feathers blending in with the white sky - I was lucky with a nice muted background and dappled sunlight). Great job with the exposure on these - did you spot meter? I have a habit of always metering on matrix mode and just eyeballing the amount of +/- EV I need based on the scene, In this case it looks like maybe +1.3 give or take a .3... Great work in any case as the exposure looks right on. I guess the birds are going to keep cooperating for a bit.
Josh,

Sorry for the misspell of your alias. Thank you for the compliment and detailed explanation of your technique. As far as metering goes, I use a handheld Sekonic Studio 398 incident meter held about 3 feet in front of the camera and with the bulb facing towards the camera. All camera controls are set to manual (its the way I learned when using film).

Ray

Last edited by sawtooth235; 03-22-2009 at 01:25 PM.
03-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, an incident meter, that explains it - why don't they build those into DSLRs? I always wanted one in my film days, but I was a poor kid w/ no money for a light meter .
03-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Oh yeah, an incident meter, that explains it - why don't they build those into DSLRs? I always wanted one in my film days, but I was a poor kid w/ no money for a light meter .
Josh,

I'll trade you my Sekonic meter for your Bigma lens.

Ray