Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first modeling shoot...
Posted By: Senseriffic, 03-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Its my friend's lighting kit which is pretty terrible..... the set up was pretty bad too.... cold cement garage on a cold day. My poor model was Freezing even with the space heater right on her. I shot with my pentax k100D super with kit lens. Anyways... This was a really fun shoot, lol I posed her and I'm looking for critiques on the posing...

Model
Views: 2,081
03-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am probably not the right person to comment on the lighting and setup but I must say she does not look happy. In fact she looks downright pissed in some shots. Must have a lot to do with the temperature.
03-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there, I am a regular member of this forum and have been unable to log in since sunday, and would have posted sooner.
I see that you only have one comment on you shoot. My honest opinion follows.
I believe this is Trash, I am a very open minded person and not one to make a fuss on this forum but it really does not belong here.

Is the model even 18?

The suggestive shots with the lollipop lead me to the conclusion that it is your full intent to portray this young lady as a young teen.

She looks unbelievably uncomfortable with the whole situation.

The lighting is flat and does not do anything to enhance her features.

Horrible shadows on all the shots.

If this was my daughter, I would be hunting you down.

Taff
03-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Well, It seems you've got Taff all tuned-up, and maybe some others as well.
As far as whether the pictures belong here or not. I think its not for me to say. While I agree that they're not great shots I'm not offended even though they have a lewd quality to them. If thats the kind of pictures you want to take I have no problem with it. Just remember that not all of the people on this board are adults, or as forgiving as me.
One other thing. Don't let the opinions of others sway you. In the end opinions are worth almost as much as they cost you.

Rodney...

03-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like a 1 light setup? You'd need some more lights or a nice big two sided reflector or a bigger umbrella/softbox (if stuck with 1 light) but you could just use hot lights, it's a good first attempt at "Boudoir/Glamour" photography.
You'd need to apply not only a better facial but body make-up to help cut down on those hotspots of shiny skin which flat lighting doesn't always hide well or shape the face a little better.

You might want to "google" around for samples/tutorials on shooting "Boudoir/Glamour", you'll find some lighting, posing and make-up guides. Good luck on your next shoot(s)
03-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

also learn to export for web, you got some serious compression going on making the images seem very soft and very P&S like
03-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Lol @ the Prude in Perth. Look, I thought Aussies were a gritty lot, not easily offended. Just giving you a hard time... No offense intended.

While the photography, specifically the lighting is of poor quality... The model is uncomfortable or inexperienced, or both... The bunny/Easter theme is poorly conceived... I would've gone with black leather thigh highs and/or latex... A more Goth look I think would've worked better for her. Especially where she's looking agitated.

Now, there are good points to this shoot. I like the "referee" get up with the push up bra. She looks more engaged and having more fun.

Now, if the lighting were fixed, and as suggested you can search online for low cost setups that work fine... You'd be off on the right foot...

Also, I'd suggest shooting here at more of an angle at different view points, with a shallower depth of field. She doesn't look very tall and the straight on, wide DOF shots you've taken don't help "elongate" her.

As others suggest more attention to hair and makeup along with trying to get her more loose and engaged are all things to shoot for.

I think there is plenty of potential here, especially with this being a "first time".

Oh and I see no signs of child abuse here, lmao...

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
Hi there, I am a regular member of this forum and have been unable to log in since sunday, and would have posted sooner.
I see that you only have one comment on you shoot. My honest opinion follows.
I believe this is Trash, I am a very open minded person and not one to make a fuss on this forum but it really does not belong here.

Is the model even 18?

The suggestive shots with the lollipop lead me to the conclusion that it is your full intent to portray this young lady as a young teen.

She looks unbelievably uncomfortable with the whole situation.

The lighting is flat and does not do anything to enhance her features.

Horrible shadows on all the shots.

If this was my daughter, I would be hunting you down.

Taff

03-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #8

Pretty good for a first time, There could be some room for improvment though. SOme of the pictures look like "myspace poses".
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The model is good-looking, and I bet with a better light setup and some more post-processing, this could be very good.

EDIT: Oh, and I would like to comment on the poses, but there are just so many pictures. Next time, maybe choose two or three of your favorites, this would make it easier to make specific suggestions.

Last edited by EricT; 03-23-2009 at 06:45 PM.