Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sunrise for car lovers.
Posted By: pcarfan, 03-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Today was the third time I woke up to my alarm on a weekend to try to get a sunrise shot against my car. I failed last weekend and yesterday due to weather or the spot being occupied by some trucks, and return home without a single shot.

Today wasn't ideal either, as I did not get the big round orange sun I had occasionally seen over the past two weeks. There were no clouds at all, but at least I got a few shots. I am fairly satisfied. I guess the weather has to be just right for the sun to come in all it's glory...if it is easy, I guess everyone would be doing it.
6 shots in reply, starting with some teaser shots

C&C greatly appreciated, especially any errors that you see with the post processing. Thank you.
Views: 2,506
03-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Early Bird and all - I like the first two for product shots. Love #4 the moon really adds to it. The last two some series sun flare , but if that was the effect you were going for mission accomplished !
03-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nicely done. I really like the last one. JIM
03-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with Dave that the first two are my favorite. Shooting into the sunrise is very difficult without GND filters, but you pulled some some very impressive shots.

BTW, where in Dayton are you? As I am from the same area and it would be great to meet up sometime.

Cory

03-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Early Bird and all - I like the first two for product shots. Love #4 the moon really adds to it. The last two some series sun flare , but if that was the effect you were going for mission accomplished !

Thank you....yeah! I had to go for the sun flare look and I am ok with it...as soon as the sun came out, I knew it wasn't the ideal one I had seen a few times in the past two weeks, and knew it would be harsh....so, given that, and that I have seen some stellar shots with sun flare, decided to work with what I had....I wasn't coming home empty handed

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate it very much.
03-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Very nicely done. I really like the last one. JIM
Thank you very much.
03-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I have to agree with Dave that the first two are my favorite. Shooting into the sunrise is very difficult without GND filters, but you pulled some some very impressive shots.

BTW, where in Dayton are you? As I am from the same area and it would be great to meet up sometime.

Cory
Cory,

It's miamisburg...thank you for the comments.

03-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots of a beautiful car. I particularly like the 3rd one of the left corner panel.

Jer
03-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

1. Great perspective, but the background on the right is a bit ugly.
2. Love the in-your-face-ness of this photo, way better background in this one.
3. Great sky, but this part of the car doesn't really interest me much.
4. Good photo, would be perfect if the car was a bit lighter.
5. Bit of a boring composition. Would have been better had there been more sky and less dark ground.
6. Easily the best of the bunch, beautiful colours. Only criticism I can think of is that, as with 5, you could have used more of the gorgeous sky instead of the black ground.
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Beautiful shots of a beautiful car. I particularly like the 3rd one of the left corner panel.

Jer
Thanks I like that shot too....appreciate your response.
03-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
1. Great perspective, but the background on the right is a bit ugly.
2. Love the in-your-face-ness of this photo, way better background in this one.
3. Great sky, but this part of the car doesn't really interest me much.
4. Good photo, would be perfect if the car was a bit lighter.
5. Bit of a boring composition. Would have been better had there been more sky and less dark ground.
6. Easily the best of the bunch, beautiful colours. Only criticism I can think of is that, as with 5, you could have used more of the gorgeous sky instead of the black ground.
Thank you for the detailed C&C, I appreciate it very much.

In # 5 I wanted to show-off that gorgeous rear of the 911, really didn't want to show much of the sky.

I should get me some nice GND filters and get some with more sky...I was planning to get some shots with the sun up in the sky, but as I left my tripod mount I could not do exposure bracket with the same perspective, just did some low sky shots when the sun was still closer to the horizon, and later it got too harsh without the GND.

Thank you for your help, immensely appreciated.
03-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I usually don't go in for car photos (except I have a soft spot for photos of my truck in the mountains)... That said, #2 is, IMHO, a beautiful work of art - it needs to be framed and hung on the wall.
03-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I usually don't go in for car photos (except I have a soft spot for photos of my truck in the mountains)... That said, #2 is, IMHO, a beautiful work of art - it needs to be framed and hung on the wall.
Wow!, thank Josh. First, it wasn't my favorite...now, it's growing on me...
03-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done.
Last 2 are my faves, but then I'm more of a fan of the big picture and smooth lighting on nice cars...
03-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

pcarfan,

You really got some great critiques. I'm not good enough to criticise, but IMHO the next to last one is great and the large area to the left of the car would be a great location for print (marketing background in me looks for that kind of stuff).

Ray