Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First run on K100D on a Beautiful Sunday
Posted By: prinze18, 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Comments are more than welcomed. I tried to embed image here but dont know if I did it correctly. This is the link to Picasa web

Picasa Web Albums - Kevin - Pentax Random

After going out to get the "Understanding exposure" book, I just went downtown for some pics in old CA capitola.

I have a couple of questions to try and improve my skills( if I have any)

Pic#6 and 9 --> How do I reduce the glare on a sunny day like this. Light is good but in some shots, I got "whiten" out if you know what I mean. Should I play with the aperture or the shutter speed? or get filters to tint it out?

Since it was windy, I was trying to catch the wavy blades of grass in the wind. I either "froze" or completely blurred the entire shot. Any thoughts?

Kevin
Views: 1,620
03-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A "circular polarizing filter" (CPL) will hep cut glare, though it can make the sky unnaturally dark blue.
03-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Some of your photo's have their subject in the centre, try putting them more to the edges of your picture. See: Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the picture of the bridge isn't level (the horizon is lower on the right). And for these kind of pictures (outside, sunny weather) a CPL gives your pictures a much better contrast, and it removes the glare.

For the flower, you used the following settings:

ISO: 1600
Shutterspeed: 1/90 sec.
Aperture: 38.0
Focal Length: 55mm

The aperture is very, very high. You would have probably had a more pleasant result with a lower ISO and a lower aperture. Also, a lower aperture results in parts of the pictures being out of focus, which usually works very well with macro shots to focus the attention on, for example, one particular flower.
03-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your tips. Now I know about the Rule of 3rds, composing a shot.