Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

12 Hours of Sebring
Posted By: two68s, 03-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Here are some pics from the ALMS race at Sebring International Raceway on Saturday. I took about 1500 photos, narrowed them down to 250 then took the cream off the top of that. I think some of them turned out really great. Let me know what you think, and don't hold back. I am trying to learn after all!

Spares

Views: 4,355
03-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
Very nice series. I'm getting geared up for the first race of the F1 season this coming weekend so I'm getting a kick out of these pictures.
One of my clients is just across the road from the track. It gets noisy this time of year

Oops. I forgot to mention this series of photos. Great stuff. Very hard to capture the high-speed action and you did really well.

03-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice. F1 is definitely loud. I went to the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis and you definitely need earplugs.
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the reminder (as if I needed one!)... looking forward to this season as well!

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
Very nice series. I'm getting geared up for the first race of the F1 season this coming weekend so I'm getting a kick out of these pictures.
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Thanks for the reminder (as if I needed one!)... looking forward to this season as well!
Should be interesting with the new cars... Been following the action over the winter testing and it should be a very competitive year. Anyway... Let this thread get back to it's owner.

03-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The images are stellar here. You must have some sort of media pass to get to where you got to
03-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Agree with everyone great action pack series

cheers
03-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
VERY well done! I really like your pics in the pits, but your panning shots were fantastic.

03-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The images are stellar here. You must have some sort of media pass to get to where you got to
nah, no media pass. Sebring is very open, most of the track is surrounded by a chain link fence just waist high. In most places only 15ft from the track, they rely on concrete barriers for safety. People with media passes get to be on the track!
03-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #24

Hey Jeremy, Nice shots! My Boys and I hit Laguna Seca (last 6yrs) and Long Beach every year for the ALMS rounds.

Little point on the GT1 Vettes. There are two GT classes, GT1 and GT2. GT1's are a lot faster, have more aero, better brakes, etc. GT2 are much closer to production based cars. The Vette's the last 2 years in the USA have been the only cars in GT1. All the other competitors left, the Vettes were too dominate and it's an expensive class. They want to avenge their loss at the 24 hours of Lemans to the GT1 Aston Martins DB9's (not the same as the GT2 Aston in your pics) so they are continueing to run the GT1 Vette's until the June Lemans race, then will debut their new GT2 versions. They are all new cars to meet the rules, the engine is de-stroked to 6ltrs. The GT2 class is hugely competitive (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, LG's Corvette, Panoz, Ford GT, Aston DB7) and it should be quite interesting to see them run there. Posrche & Ferrari the last few seasons have dominated. BMW just returned this year after a 2 year absence. They'll have their work cut out for them!

Next race is St. Petersberg, you might want to catch that one too....
03-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes I have already planned a trip for the St. Pete race, and also Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta in Sept. I can only hope that Barber Motorsports Park in my hometown(Bham, AL) can attract an ALMS event (we already have a Grand-Am event). Thanks for the info on the C6Rs. I didn't even realize they were the only GT1 cars! The GT2 Aston is a V8 Vantage I think. Hopefully GM can continue to support their teams financially and they can dominate the GT2 class as well.
03-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
All of my best shots (5 total) were rejected from PPG. Well, what do you expect from a site that has 10,000 photos of flowers and butterflies.

I like fast cars, here are some more:

Lowe's Acura ARX-01B

Lifting a wheel

The Aston doing some inadvertent drifting after sliding through a gravel trap.
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #27

Yeah, your right its a Vantage. (I forgot they re-used the name again) It was funny at Laguna last year, they broke something in the gear box IIRC, so they went a bought an off the lot Aston, drove it down and switched the gear box. If you didn't know, the team owner and driver used to be member of the British House of Lords (Parliment) He quit so he could pursue his love of Racing. Very cool old gent!
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I am SO jealous !!!! I would love to be able to attend a race like this, but there are no tracks close to me. I kick myself in the a$$ for not making it to Indy for the F1 races in the past, I am only 4 hours from there...

Great images by the way. And with the kit lens, and a re badged Tamron 70-300, awesome !
03-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by two68s Quote
Lowe's Acura ARX-01B

Saw an interesting special over the weekend on the Acura effort. They actually designed the car entirely on computer in just 8 months, used a gasoline engine rather than diesel and mounted rear-width tires on the front as well for better traction.