Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A (jet) blast from the 1950's
Posted By: vespa, 03-25-2009, 09:44 AM

We had planned a visit to the fleet air arm museum at yeovilton anyway when i heard that the DH Sea Vixen G-CIVX was relocating from bournmouth,presumably ready to participate in next weeks practice for the Flynavy 100 flypast.The expected lie in went out of the window and we managed to get in position about 15 minutes before she arrived.Were treated to 2 missed approach procedures before landing.Shot using K10D and Bigma mounted on a Bushhawk,TAV mode 1/500 at F10.

Views: 3,472
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series, thanks for sharing.
03-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are SWEET pictures! Color me jealous to see an old warbird like that one in action...

Jim
03-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
Sounds lovely too the engine noise hits the same kind of place that the merlin piston engine does,you know the bit locked away deep down that the modern world seems to be doing its best to eradicate.Unfortunatly shes the last airworthy one and doesnt get seen at many airshows.
It was more than a bit windy with a crosswind from both sides of the runway luckily an airfields bigger than a carrier!Could still taste kerosene for 5 minutes after this......

Last edited by vespa; 03-26-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spiiling mertstake
03-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots - man are those appartment buildings in the last one ? I would imagine it can get pretty loud in there.
03-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great shots - man are those appartment buildings in the last one ? I would imagine it can get pretty loud in there.
Probably barracks for the junior enlisted folks. Having spent a year in similar housing in Korea (officers too, over there...) right next door to the active runway, I'll just say that you get used to the noise. I have slept thru a 4-ship flight of F-16 Falcons taking off on afterburners, only to wake up when the phone rang...

Vespa, you are soooo right about the sound of a Merlin touching something inside. I grew up in Seattle, WA, and every summer we used to go down to the lakeshore and watch the unlimited hydroplane races. In the "olden days" they all ran their boats with Merlins. Ahhhhh, what a sound. Nowadays it seems all the hydros are running turbines and sound like jets on hte water, but it just ain't the same...

Jim
03-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
I think thats the base operations building,the foreshortening does make it look close tho' the worst i can remember is gibraltar....all the billets are RIGHT alongside the runway come to think of it the road into spain actually crosses the runway!
Yeovilton is home to most of the RN helicopter fleet as well as the RN historic flight and the fleet air arm museum which has the largest collection of naval aircraft in europe.Unless the historic flight are up most of the movements are lynx,sea king and merlin helicopters.Lynx lifting of with merlin spooling up and sea kings in background.

A few of the museum itself,hawker P1127 forerunner of the harrier/AV8

Hawker Hunter T8 in foreground BAC 221 behind

Handley Page 115 sheltering under concord 002

Fairy Fulmar

Supermarine Attacker yes it is a taildragging jet.....

Supermarine Seahawk

Last edited by vespa; 03-26-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: additional
03-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great stuff Vespa. I'm going to have to check out the local air museum again.

Tom G
03-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like all air planes, thanks for sharing!