Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Still-Life Photo Questions
Posted By: jbrowning, 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM

The company that I work for wanted me to take some pictures of a product we are going to start carrying. It is the ham that is being used in this presentation.

I am not too sure about the angle I was shooting from. These came out a little darker on the website than the originals. Would it be best if I used a round bowl and plate that way I won't have the distortion of the straight lines (I can't remember what thats called). I was also using natural light from the window. I think we need to lose the gold plate that is all scratched up. Also maybe a different colored background. Anything else I'm missing that is wrong with these pictures or am I just being picky again?

Thanks
Jim
Views: 2,209
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd definitely go with the red checkered tablecloth (as opposed to the green one). I guess the top-down perspective fits your purpose best. Whether or not to use the gold plate depends on the kind of company you are. I think it looks alot better than the white plate, and the scratches only make it look more like actual gold (which I'm assuming it isn't?). But it depends on whether you want to make it look cheap or expensive.
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Anything else I'm missing that is wrong with these pictures or am I just being picky again?
For product shots be picky.

The gold plate is better than the white plate I think. If you can get a newer or NEW one all the better. Go out and BUY a plate. It will be well worth the investment.

The red checker is better than the green. Position is good generally, maybe a little lower. All shots do not have the contents of the plate fully in focus. The salad is soft in the front part of the frame and the sandwiches are soft at the back of the frame. Better the latter than the former I think.

The tomatoes in the salad are NOT fresh. I would send this back to the kitchen. To paraphrase a rule from the kitchen (If you would not eat it don't serve it) If you would not eat it don't photograph it.

Consider getting a mister... a cheap water bottle that allows you to mist the veggies. It looks refreshing and appetizing. Seriously. Look at photographs of Whoppers and such. Focus on the tomatoes. You'll see what I mean. Don't over do it. The idea is to make it look like condensation because it is fresh and cool.

Food Photography - lessons in food photography technique - How to photograph food
Food photography tips

Kind regards, and good luck! I think you have a very nice start.

woof!
03-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks woof and kevinschoenmakers with the suggestions. The food photography website was quite an interesting read. I am going to try and re-do this shoot this weekend. I'm thinking about getting rid of the red tomatoes and strawberries. I'm afraid they are taking away from the color of the ham.

Thanks
Jim

03-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Check out soccerjoe's food pics with the DA 70mm that he posted in another thread to give you some inspiration on angles and lighting. His food artist definitely has a great technique for making those sandwiches look good!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42506-who-has-70mm-ltd-4.html

Not to sound overly critical, but if the ham is what you are trying to sell, make that the primary focus of your picture and get intimate with it. Don't worry about making the salad the primary player in the picture since people will be able to tell that it's salad even if the whole thing isn't in the picture. Of course, I don't shoot food myself and just speaking from what draws my eye (and gets me salivating) when I compare the pics with the ones from the linked thread.

Looking forward to seeing your next set of shots!
03-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Also, is the ham already shredded or was it shredded that way for the salad? My personal preference speaking, of course, but I think it would look more appetizing if it were in long, layered, fanned out strips instead of chopped up bits.

Hope that helps.
03-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the red table cloth as well. That last shot looks very good and tasty.