Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Posted By: eyou, 03-25-2009, 07:55 PM

i ordered one of those crappy macro tube extensions. its not that bad, but a tripod is a MUST. the dof was so shallow i couldn't get anything too sharp. This is picture with less than 1/2 of the total macro tube length. i couldn't add any more length to the tube or everything looked like crap. any suggestions (dof too shallow?)?

this is a picture of pink zoanthids, a type of polyp, that i have in my fish tank. i'm gonna take some more tomorrow when i have more time.

pic sharpened and made the color pop a little

any suggestions on taking picture through glass into water without adding a lot of distortion?

Last edited by eyou; 03-26-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Views: 6,885
03-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
it's hard having expensive hobbies =( (camera, fish tank, scuba)
Gave up diving. But growing up we were in the water at least 6 hours a day. What about power tools, model railroading, computers and on and on. Did I mention power tools?

By the way, for $15 tubes the shots are really nice. Heck they're nice for $25 tubes.

03-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Gave up diving. But growing up we were in the water at least 6 hours a day. What about power tools, model railroading, computers and on and on. Did I mention power tools?

By the way, for $15 tubes the shots are really nice. Heck they're nice for $25 tubes.
power tools are still on my want and not need list. sometimes i want to spend a lot when im building my tanks but when im done doing that, the tools would sit and do nothing.

heres a Rhodactis sanctithomae, a type of mushroom (not related to fungi, just the common aquatic term)

03-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #18

Original Poster
best shot i have so far of my mckosker's wrasse. its impossible to compose a shot with him, just getting it in focus so far is my goal . trying to get an artsy nice DOF shot with him but so far no luck.

this is him flashing, spreading his fins and making his colors much more intense and glow. they do that to impress females in a harem but hes all by himself . maybe hes just frustrated

btw the purple fringe on the edge of his fins are how they are marked , not CA (all the purple on him is iridescent pigment)

Last edited by eyou; 03-31-2009 at 08:41 PM.
04-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Nice photos and nice to see another aquarium enthusiast. I've been doing planted tanks for a while, although recently I haven't been taking care of it as much as I should. Need to refill my CO2

04-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

welcome to the fish forum.
I use to worry about the ph and all the other crap. Bought almost every new gadget around. Spent literally thousands. Out of all that they only thing I really use is my Diatom Filter from VOrtex Inner Space that I bought in 1985. And most of my filtration is still from that time and it still works. Right down to the trickle filter.
When I started letting them fall where they may the fish adapted. The plants started thriving. Have found that most of the new "technology" was designed as a separater. Between me and my money. Of course this lesson was learned back in the early 80's
04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Nice photos and nice to see another aquarium enthusiast. I've been doing planted tanks for a while, although recently I haven't been taking care of it as much as I should. Need to refill my CO2
i recently just got out of a hair algae outbreak slump, so i'm doing a lot more for my tank. i only started this tank recently, and was having that nuisance hair algae invading everything. it was so thick you could not see the rocks in my tank. and so i didnt do much to the tank cause it looked so bad. now that it's looking good again, i'm putting more effort into it. I'll through phases almost where i neglect the tank (except for mandatory feeding/water changes) but when the tank looks good, i'll do all the unnecessary stuff that makes the tank look great

those amano planted tank look so awesomely ridiculous, with such good aquascaping and they are so serene. it makes me almost want to start a planted tank, until i see an amano saltwater reef tank

welcome to the fish forum.
I use to worry about the ph and all the other crap. Bought almost every new gadget around. Spent literally thousands. Out of all that they only thing I really use is my Diatom Filter from VOrtex Inner Space that I bought in 1985. And most of my filtration is still from that time and it still works. Right down to the trickle filter.
When I started letting them fall where they may the fish adapted. The plants started thriving. Have found that most of the new "technology" was designed as a separater. Between me and my money. Of course this lesson was learned back in the early 80's
same with here. i'll go through phases where i MUST have certain expensive equipment (kind of like... camera lenses?) my most recent purchase was a $400 vortech MP40 pump, which uses magnets to power and hold the pump in place, so no wires in the tank! that's a biggie for me, its silly to have such a nice looking tank and then see a heater in the corner with filters etc. it messes up the whole 'natural' environment look.

Last edited by eyou; 04-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.
04-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
graphicgr8s

same with here. i'll go through phases where i MUST have certain expensive equipment (kind of like... camera lenses?) my most recent purchase was a $400 vortech MP40 pump, which uses magnets to power and hold the pump in place, so no wires in the tank! that's a biggie for me, its silly to have such a nice looking tank and then see a heater in the corner with filters etc. it messes up the whole 'natural' environment look.
When I had my SW 90 gallon I ran a trickle filter I built in a 20 gal long. All my "mechanicals" were in the sump. The only thing on the tank was an overflow which I managed to hide. This tank was just drop dead gorgeous. When I closed in the carport I put a large bay window (7' across the inside) and the tank was built into the wall perpendicular to it so that when you came up to the house you saw the tank thru the bay. It looked like a living picture ina frame. It was one of 2 things that helped sell that house. It's too bad I never actually took pictures of it. (Bangs head against wall repeatedly)

04-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #23

Original Poster
When I had my SW 90 gallon I ran a trickle filter I built in a 20 gal long. All my "mechanicals" were in the sump. The only thing on the tank was an overflow which I managed to hide. This tank was just drop dead gorgeous. When I closed in the carport I put a large bay window (7' across the inside) and the tank was built into the wall perpendicular to it so that when you came up to the house you saw the tank thru the bay. It looked like a living picture ina frame. It was one of 2 things that helped sell that house. It's too bad I never actually took pictures of it. (Bangs head against wall repeatedly)
what was the 2nd? did you sell your tank and stock with the house?!

sump is definitely best way to go. every iteration of tanks i have had except my very first have had a sump in mind. i have everything in my sump too. all you can see in my tank is the vortech pump head (no wires attaching it though) and the outlet pipe. it definitely gives a clean look, along with the eurobraced top. i'll put a picture of my setup sometime.

i wish i had a 90g. 40g is the biggest ive tried so far, and im almost regretting it already. i might to move after the summer so i would have breakdown my tank or downsize back to nano...

if i go back to a small tank, i might have to go sumpless so it would be easily portable. I would hate to give up my tank altogether because i've grown some of my corals since they were wee 1/4" frags to a few inches now. theyre like my babies...

please feel free to post some of your fish pics too! maybe i should start a new thread like the 'post your pet a day' but make it aquatic
04-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
graphicgr8s

what was the 2nd? did you sell your tank and stock with the house?!

sump is definitely best way to go. every iteration of tanks i have had except my very first have had a sump in mind. i have everything in my sump too. all you can see in my tank is the vortech pump head (no wires attaching it though) and the outlet pipe. it definitely gives a clean look, along with the eurobraced top. i'll put a picture of my setup sometime.

i wish i had a 90g. 40g is the biggest ive tried so far, and im almost regretting it already. i might to move after the summer so i would have breakdown my tank or downsize back to nano...

if i go back to a small tank, i might have to go sumpless so it would be easily portable. I would hate to give up my tank altogether because i've grown some of my corals since they were wee 1/4" frags to a few inches now. theyre like my babies...

please feel free to post some of your fish pics too! maybe i should start a new thread like the 'post your pet a day' but make it aquatic
Well, although I am a graphics guy by profession I have been accused of being equally as good with woodworking tools. The house flooded 3 times. The first I was in NY and couldn't do a thing about it. The other 2 I was home and built a dam around the house and ran 2 pumps for 72 hours straight (and stayed up that long too they couldn't stop) Anyhow that pretty much ruined all our cabinets. So I made new ones. Real wood. Stained. 6 coats of poly. Nice. The whole house was all stained trim and doors. The woman who bought it came and painted all that trim white.

the 90 was actually easier to keep than the small tanks. Little things that go wrong, and they always do are absorbed better by more water.

My tanks right now I am ashamed of. I should scan some of my film stuff. Use to breed all kinds of FW including angels
04-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

i recently just got out of a hair algae outbreak slump, so i'm doing a lot more for my tank. i only started this tank recently, and was having that nuisance hair algae invading everything. it was so thick you could not see the rocks in my tank. and so i didnt do much to the tank cause it looked so bad. now that it's looking good again, i'm putting more effort into it. I'll through phases almost where i neglect the tank (except for mandatory feeding/water changes) but when the tank looks good, i'll do all the unnecessary stuff that makes the tank look great

those amano planted tank look so awesomely ridiculous, with such good aquascaping and they are so serene. it makes me almost want to start a planted tank, until i see an amano saltwater reef tank
The Amano tanks were what inspired me to go planted I always wanted to do saltwater though - maybe in the future. I go through those taking care of/not taking care of phases with my fish tank also. Sometimes it's just a lot of work to keep it looking nice. Here's a shot when I was taking my time with weekly water changes, dosing ferts, and trimming.

Then I let it get overgrown.

I rescaped it with some plans in mind but now it's just sitting there w/o CO2 or ferts. Surprisingly algae isn't bad so it's just going to sit there until I get the urge to start working on the tank again

Last edited by Toshi; 04-03-2009 at 01:16 AM.
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
graphicgr8s

Do either of you subscribe to Freshwater and Marine Magazine?
04-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Nope, never heard of that magazine
04-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #28
graphicgr8s

Nope, never heard of that magazine
http://www.fishchannel.com/fama_portal.aspx. I have had a subscription since 1983 and have saved all the issues. They have standing orders to renew to my CC every 2 years. I go back and read some of the articles from time to time to see how things have changed and how much they stay the same. I use to subscribe to Tropical Fish Hobbyist but it just didn't interest me anymore. I stil have about 10 years of those saved.
04-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #29

Original Poster
wow that looks nice. how big is that tank? it looks pretty long. and where are the fish?!

Do either of you subscribe to Freshwater and Marine Magazine?
Nano-Reef.com - The source for nano reef aquarium information

Reef Central Online Community

thats where i get all my info
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #30
graphicgr8s

wow that looks nice. how big is that tank? it looks pretty long. and where are the fish?!

Nano-Reef.com - The source for nano reef aquarium information

Reef Central Online Community

thats where i get all my info
Rarely read fish forums on the computer. Still like printed material for that. And the contributing writers are among the best.