Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
LBA - DA14mm f/2.8 ED (IF)
Posted By: Asad_Masede, 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM

I bit the bullet, the 16-50/2.8 is taking too long to show up so I decided to switch priorities for now and got me a DA14/2.8 to cover the hole the DA16-45's sale left in my array of lenses. I'll get the zoom in a couple of months, for now, I'm very satisfied with my new purchase.

This close-focus ability, combined with F/2.8 is what I had been dreaming for, in an ultra-wide, for a very long time. Great for perspective shooting.

Both the sharpness and the blur I get from this lens are great as far as I'm concerned.

Aah, the ultra-wide's traditional role, sweeping landscapes:

More close-focus goodness:

Good for flower stuff even:

One more...

As far as the physical and mechanical qualities of the lens go, it's very well made, full metal body with a joyously accurate focusing ring and true IF design that doesn't change length while focusing, you can also override AF at any time by turning the focus ring, which also does NOT rotate when the lens is in auto-focus. More of this kind of construction, please, Pentax!

Cheers!
-Asad
Views: 3,672
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot one...

Forgot to add this one, great for indoor, low light wides, too:

Cheers,
-Asad
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrads, Asad!

This is definitely a stellar lens. I used this lens a lot while travelling. I saw your use of this lens quite different from rest of us.

I love all these shots where you love narrow DOF, creating another realm of Da14 use.

The last shot is really appealing.

P.s. the magnolia shot is very beautiful but the out of rendering area might reveal the common criticism of "less smooth bokeh".
04-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Congrads, Asad!

This is definitely a stellar lens. I used this lens a lot while travelling. I saw your use of this lens quite different from rest of us.

I love all these shots where you love narrow DOF, creating another realm of Da14 use.

The last shot is really appealing.

P.s. the magnolia shot is very beautiful but the out of rendering area might reveal the common criticism of "less smooth bokeh".
Thanks James!

I agree about the bokeh in the magnolias shot, but I think it has more to do with the nature of this focal length than the properties of the glass, could be wrong though, still honeymooning with my new lens.

Cheers,
-Asad

04-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

great shots. i might even go that route myself
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukastrika Quote
great shots. i might even go that route myself
Thanks lukastrika! The route isn't a bad one.

I was going to get this lens sooner or later, but circumstances decided that it be sooner rather than later and I'm happy with that.

Cheers,
-Asad
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice representation of capabilities of this lens! Fantastic variety and possibilities are limitless with this ultrawide glass!

I too was considering this lens, but with the current funds situation ended up with Sigma 15mm EX...

Regards,
D

04-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Your shooting style really brings out a lot from this lens.

I agree with James about the bokeh in the floral shot, but if the background is not too complex, it can be very pleasing. The shoes shot, and the candle shot are what I find as good examples.
04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
Forum Member

they are all great ! ... but I "vote" for the last one
04-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Very nice representation of capabilities of this lens! Fantastic variety and possibilities are limitless with this ultrawide glass!

I too was considering this lens, but with the current funds situation ended up with Sigma 15mm EX...

Regards,
D
Thanks D! Close-focusing ultra-wides are just a joy to use, and as you say, the possibilities are endless!

I saw your images with the Sigma fisheye, very nice lens indeed.

Cheers!
-Asad
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Wow! Your shooting style really brings out a lot from this lens.

I agree with James about the bokeh in the floral shot, but if the background is not too complex, it can be very pleasing. The shoes shot, and the candle shot are what I find as good examples.
Thanks Alvin! I had been itching to get my hands on this lens.

Yeah, complex background is no help for the wides. For LBA shots though, I usually make it a point to take images with complex backgrounds to really test the blurring capabilities of a lens.

Cheers!
-Asad
04-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jana Quote
they are all great ! ... but I "vote" for the last one
Thanks Jana! Vote registered.

Cheers!
-Asad
04-11-2007, 03:44 AM   #13
db2

Like the band shot

The depth in this shot does it for me, also the shadow on the ceiling is really out there too. Nice sharp lens that opens up considerable creative possibilities. Maybe I should sell the house and buy one
04-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by db2 Quote
The depth in this shot does it for me, also the shadow on the ceiling is really out there too. Nice sharp lens that opens up considerable creative possibilities. Maybe I should sell the house and buy one
Thanks db2! The lens gives me the same feeling as I got when I bought my first ever macro lens, opens a whole new world to you.

You'll be surprised how reasonably priced this lens is compared to, for instance, Nikon's (albeit full-frame) equivalent which touches $1500 USD price point. So you don't have to sell a house, but maybe a mountain bike or something like that.

Cheers!
-Asad
04-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Congratulations Asad!

Extremely capable lens. I love #3! Wow!!