Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My 16 mile hike...
Posted By: khardur, 04-09-2007, 06:35 PM

So I decided late Saturday morning to go on a hike. I've been up this mountain plenty of times before, but never in winter, as it's only accessible by foot/ski/etc or snowmobile. Unfortunately I don't have a snowmobile!

But alas, I packed some food and water and my gear, and drove out to the access road. I started up the long, windy road in good spirits, the sky was clear with some puffy clouds.

This was along the road up, shortly after I started.

There was a lot more interesting things on the way up, but I didn't want to stop too much, as my ultimate goal was simply to get to the top for today and try to capture a few pictures up there. It did get a little depressing, though, for it clouded up for a time and the light was completely flat, and honestly it didn't look like it was going to clear up.

Here is a stand of trees I found a little bit before the summit.

On top of the summit is a lighthouse/war memorial tower. I can see it from my house at night from the next town over.

A stand of snow-covered trees.

Here is another view of the tower once I hit the clearing.

Finally, I made it! Honestly when I started I didn't think the road would be as long. It was well worth it though... but it was already after 4pm and I needed to start the 8 mile trip back.

I didn't make too many stops on the way back, I had to get trucking, I had eaten my food, drank my water and honestly I was very tired.
I did stop alongside the path to capture the ice hanging off the trees. When the wind blew it sounded like crisp fall leaves rustling.

These last few are the last few captures before I lost the light behind some dark clouds, and really had to get moving to try to get down the mountain before dark.

This is one of my favorites.

Hope you enjoyed, because I still feel like something the cat dragged in... and out... and in... and out...
Views: 2,829
04-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Serious hike in cold weather. Looks to be everybit worth it too.
I really like all the shots but the structure against the blue sky has a nice appeal.
04-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Those shots were well worth the hike. You should get a few frames. I liked the last shot a lot, but it was a close second to my favourite - the lighthouse against the blue sky.
04-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thats just nuts! Looks like the snow turned into white puffs of matted cotton. Great shots and definately a trip I'd love to take.

04-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Finally, I made it! Honestly when I started I didn't think the road would be as long. It was well worth it though... but it was already after 4pm and I needed to start the 8 mile trip back.

Hope you enjoyed, because I still feel like something the cat dragged in... and out... and in... and out...
I did enjoy. Great shots - and a nice hike. My brother lives up the street in Williamstown and I've never been to the top of Mt. Greylock. I think I'll choose better weather though! That looks cold! Enjoy the Berkshires and keep shooting and sharing.
04-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Those shots were well worth the hike.
Ha - easy for all of us to say - we didn't have to hike the 16 miles!
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Brrrrr...

Great images, the last one is simply beautiful with the mixture of warm and cool tones.
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Fantastic set! Totally surreal!

04-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Really loves the snow scenes especially the ones with the tower
04-10-2007, 02:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
so true about the hike... - while I'm not in terrible shape, I have already started working out a little bit more, because I won't do that trip again until I'm better prepared. Of course it's spring and it will probably be next winter before I do this again.

Thanks for the comments guys (and gals) I'm glad you enjoyed them.

-Dan
04-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eventho it's spring Dan these look like winter shots. But I really like winter. I'm not sure I'm up to a 16 mile hike tho, thanks for doing it for me! Wonderful series, I especially like the last two and the icicle one.

NaCl(thanks for doing all that work!)H2O
04-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

wow!!! out of words..
04-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #13

Awesome, I really enjoyed those photos. The one of the tower is simply beautiful! Nicely done and congrats on completing the hike. I live near the Rocky Mountains so hiking is one of my favourite activities.
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
Forum Member

Very nice shots! And it was worth going
04-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
16 miles? My hat goes off to you! And those images, snow covered trees - stunning!!!

Regards,
D