Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Moment of Rest -- Advice on composition / cropping please
Posted By: brkl, 03-31-2009, 07:11 PM

I posted that thread with the Doctor Who creatures earlier. This shot is from the same afternoon. I captured a very genuine moment, I felt, but there's something iffy about the composition.

Flickr Photo Download: Kelvingrove 9

That is the original. My friend is maybe a bit too centered? His coat & bag do break up the background nicely, though.

That's my proposed crop, but I'm not totally happy. Any suggestions?
Views: 1,763
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first, in my opinion, nails the Title and the composition. I feel that his travel bag and coat on the right tell the story and balance the photo as much as possible. I'd like it more if he looked a bit more like he needed a rest. A bit of cropping on the top might look better. In all it looks good to me. I've looked at images for over fifty years, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Damn Brit

My take on the shot is that it is obviously posed. IMO this kind of shot works much better when it is a candid.
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Chop out the chair and palm pattern and turn it into a vertical portrait, the eye keeps going over to the left when it should be going to the right. OR find a way to tone down everything but the guy, and maybe move the bag in closer to the chair.