Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Rule of Thirds
Posted By: Lynn, 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM

When I'm out taking pictures, I try to keep composition in mind. (Alas, I'm losing my mind with age, so it's hard.) One of them is the rule of thirds, of which the Wikipedia has a pretty nice article:

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I figured I might show a couple of my "thirds" pics; please take the opportunity to show and discuss some of yours!

1. Some red-rock country in Az:

2. Shiprock:

You'll see in both pics above that the focal point is not really far enough to the side, if the rule of thirds is taken seriously. Maybe it would help?

Here's a pic that I've always like even though it pretty much violates the rule of thirds (I think). So why like it? If it does violate the rule, what factors make it attractive nonetheless (at least to me)?

3. Tierra Amarilla high country:

And here's one at the GC that seems ok. Here it's easier to see the role of the rule, but the crop at the top (removing more smoke) kind of mucks things up:

4. Fire

So let's show and talk and tell! Good examples of the rule and bad!

Lynn
Views: 8,314
04-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
Yes, but ... why does my soul (for lack of any better, more precise term) say that it likes the first image better?

This is putting names on psychologically real phenomena. And that's about as real as one could possibly imagine. The next step will be to see how these real phenomena interrelate. Just the kind of stuff that a generative-grammar freak (like moi) would love.

Lynn
Ditto. And I believe that's the book I had in my hand a few weeks ago, but opted to get my kid "Understanding Exposure" instead.