Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rule of Thirds
Posted By: Lynn, 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM

When I'm out taking pictures, I try to keep composition in mind. (Alas, I'm losing my mind with age, so it's hard.) One of them is the rule of thirds, of which the Wikipedia has a pretty nice article:

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I figured I might show a couple of my "thirds" pics; please take the opportunity to show and discuss some of yours!

1. Some red-rock country in Az:

2. Shiprock:

You'll see in both pics above that the focal point is not really far enough to the side, if the rule of thirds is taken seriously. Maybe it would help?

Here's a pic that I've always like even though it pretty much violates the rule of thirds (I think). So why like it? If it does violate the rule, what factors make it attractive nonetheless (at least to me)?

3. Tierra Amarilla high country:

And here's one at the GC that seems ok. Here it's easier to see the role of the rule, but the crop at the top (removing more smoke) kind of mucks things up:

4. Fire

So let's show and talk and tell! Good examples of the rule and bad!

Lynn
Views: 8,296
04-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some nice shots Lynn - Rule of Thirds is like any rule there are expections of course. I really like the shiprock photo that is a great example.
04-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
I guess you're right about taking the rule as a general guideline.

For some time now (too darned long), I've been planning on a shooting trip down to an overlook where one can see the Rio Grande Gorge near Taos. It seems like a fun place to shoot. What I'm wondering about is how to "third" it. Here's a commercial shot from another site (www.sangres.com); I think the shot is taken from a little lower down on the same mountain that I'm wanting to shoot from:

I don't know about others, but maybe I'm kind of odd about spotting a location on one or more trips, thinking about it for a year or so, and then deciding to shoot it (and how to shoot it). That's pretty much the origin of the shot from the Tierra Amarilla high country above. Another one I've been wanting to shoot is the Cerro Pedernal, probably one of the most painted places in the state (thank you, Georgia O'Keefe!), but less photographed.

Lynn

Last edited by Lynn; 04-03-2009 at 12:21 PM.
04-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #4

I remember the Rule of Thirds from photography in school earlier this year.

Still fresh in my brain

04-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

The rule of thirds is a really guideline and has its origins with the Egyptians, similar to the "Golden Mean." But actually photography derives its principles (which is a better term and guideline) from painting. The principles are identical, from the principle of dominance (centre of interest) to the principle of balance, colour dynamics, tones, shapes, texture, rhythm, pattern, lines and light, of course.

I like your 2nd and 3rd images, though they appear a bit oversaturated. The last image is clearly underexposed. And the first has a nice golden light on the rock, though the foreground is a little dark. But all the images are good and can be enhanced in post processing.

Keep on going, it's the journey that counts as much the end. Look at what you have seen, even if you don't take one single photo, though I am sure you will take many good ones.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 04-03-2009 at 08:03 PM.
04-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #6

Lynn,

If I remember correctly, one of the things discussed during the "Rule of Thirds" also talks about diagonals. Your 3rd pic which you stated violates the rule is very appealing, and the line of the landscape is a natural diagonal. Just my opinion, but I think it fits with the rule and is a nice shot.

Rick
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Captain Balboa said "They're more like guidelines !". Style and personal preference also play a big part in what a image "CORRECT". The more you shoot the better you do.

My 2 cents worth,

Ray

04-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

I always thought the rule of thirds was 1 bourbon, 1 scotch, 1 beer.

On #4 you could also crop the other way. Show more of the smoke/sky than the buned land. Just a thought
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
As Captain Balboa said "They're more like guidelines !". Style and personal preference also play a big part in what a image "CORRECT". The more you shoot the better you do.

My 2 cents worth,

Ray
^^^ Oh I am all on this!

Now. What do I do? I follow a rule almost exclusively and pretty strictly too. I use Lr and it has a composition tool set. In it there is the thirds rule. The one I use is the diagonals one. Crop to place important parts of the image on the diagonals. The one from the upper left corner is the most important.

Here is the link

That was what got me going on it. I have to say... I like the results.

Anyoneelse?
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
^^^ Oh I am all on this!

Now. What do I do? I follow a rule almost exclusively and pretty strictly too. I use Lr and it has a composition tool set. In it there is the thirds rule. The one I use is the diagonals one. Crop to place important parts of the image on the diagonals. The one from the upper left corner is the most important.

Here is the link

That was what got me going on it. I have to say... I like the results.

Anyoneelse?
There are always exceptions 2 the rule any rule. A picture can be technically perfect yet still suck. It's like the rule a model should never have a limb bent at an odd angle or a nude model should never have a flattened fanetta (butt cheek when sitting) yet it's done all the time. She should shift her weight so that the cheek is nice and rounded. How often do you see where it's flat on the chair or desk.
04-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

While the rule of thirds is a good general guideline, all elements within a photo must be balanced within the frame of the photo. Thus if you have a red car, it can be placed in a positiion within the rule of the thirds, but more importantly, because it is such a powerful colour, it also triggers the principle of Dominance and Balance and must be strategically placed within the photo. Not necessarily the point of intersecting rule of thirds. As graphicgr8s says, the more important thing is to ensure your photo has an expressive quality and content for you and other viewers.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 04-04-2009 at 01:33 PM.
04-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
For some time now (too darned long), I've been planning on a shooting trip down to an overlook where one can see the Rio Grande Gorge near Taos. It seems like a fun place to shoot. What I'm wondering about is how to "third" it.
Find a tree or a bush to "third", or a small rock to put in the lower right corner with the landscape slightly blurred behind it. Or a vertical photo with 2/3 sky (something like this).
04-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Find a tree or a bush to "third", or a small rock to put in the lower right corner with the landscape slightly blurred behind it. Or a vertical photo with 2/3 sky (something like this).
The vertical approach was exactly what I've been thinking of. From one vantage point, there are higher mountains in the background, and I might be able to do something with them. We'll have to see; it may add too much noise to the center of the photograph.

What I'm hoping for is a nice cumulus-cloudy day to provide some contrasts for the upper two-thirds of the photo along with some light-dark splotches (from the clouds) over the gorge itself.

I sure have learned a lot from this thread! Right now, I'm studying a site with info on dominance and balance (on website design, but the principles are pretty straightforward to translate into photography).

But all of this is going to have to stay in my dreams again: We got snow and high winds last night, so this will continue to remain brain exercise for a while instead of photography exercise.

Lynn

Boy
04-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's one I have tried it with recently ... was using the "rule of thirds" grid on my katz-eye screen ... so i kinda cheated.

Although I found later that the horizon was a tad off ... boooo

04-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Here's one I have tried it with recently ... was using the "rule of thirds" grid on my katz-eye screen ... so i kinda cheated.

Although I found later that the horizon was a tad off ... boooo
I think what Kevin was suggesting is a vertical orientation of the camera. In your case, that would mean that you would capture less of the width of the canyon, that the horizon would appear much lower down in the photograph, and that you've have a lot more sky in the upper two-thirds of the pic.

The clouds in the picture are pretty nice. With a little PP, I bet you could bring out their contrasts, making for a really nice effect in the vertical orientation.

Just dreaming. It's still blowing like mad, and the snow is horizontal. Did somebody say that this is April in the mountains of New Mexico? Sure feels like January. Maybe I should take up macrophotography and concentrate on indoor objects.

Lynn