Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Heron Re-Shot / Marc's suggestions
Posted By: Jimbo, 04-03-2009, 05:54 PM

Marc has been giving my some tips on shooting Herons. Was able to try them out today so here is the latest. [Marc / EV 0 / AV Mode / F 4 1/320 sec / ISO 250 on both pictures] I found my sharpness in the past hasn't been too bad but the clarity was off. In these two there seems to be a better balance. Comments are welcome. JIM

Views: 1,273
04-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jimbo,

Love the bubbles in the water in image #1.

Look pretty damn good to me.

Ray
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jimbo,

Love the bubbles in the water in image #1.

Look pretty damn good to me.

Ray
Thanks Ray. He had just tipped his head in the water which caused the bubbles. JIM
04-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These look excellent! What was the trick?

04-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
These look excellent! What was the trick?
Better lighting.. AV mode, Steady shutter squeeze, [should have had my tri-pod] There are so many slight changes that seem to make a hugh difference. I have taken 100's of Heron shot this year already and always seem to get close to a great shot but miss the mark. Cheers JIM
04-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice. Can you help me understand the difference between sharpness and clarity?
04-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two very nice shots Jim, it's not easy to separate them from the background in grass like that.

04-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Two very nice shots Jim, it's not easy to separate them from the background in grass like that.
The grass has been my main problem both with herons and bitterns. The bird often enough looks fine, but the grass as a background looks crummy.

Steve
04-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

can you pass some of those tips Jim?
We have quite a few herons in Regent's park and since it's gettin nice and warm I'm feeling the urge to take my K400 for a "hunt"...

BTW those shots look good to me, good effort

BR
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Very good. I like #2 , the heron is tack sharp. I also like the bubles in #1 , but the grass is a little distracting around his head. Super job Jim.
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Very nice. Can you help me understand the difference between sharpness and clarity?
I will try my best. I have a lot of so called shape images but at times they lack defination where there is depth to the picture. In the case it would be the Heron's feathers. don't know if that makes sense or not? I am still not all the way there yet to make the picture truely stand out. Hopefully I am getting closer! Thank you for looking and commenting. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I agree Henrich on the background. I just need to find a Heron not stuck in the grass! Thank you. JIM

QuoteQuote:
The grass has been my main problem both with herons and bitterns. The bird often enough looks fine, but the grass as a background looks crummy.

Steve
Not disagreeing at all. Thanks for you input! JIM

QuoteQuote:
can you pass some of those tips Jim?
We have quite a few herons in Regent's park and since it's gettin nice and warm I'm feeling the urge to take my K400 for a "hunt"...

BTW those shots look good to me, good effort

BR
Thanks bud! I am not there yet but will let you know when I am and I can share my thoughts better. work in progress. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Very good. I like #2 , the heron is tack sharp. I also like the bubles in #1 , but the grass is a little distracting around his head. Super job Jim.
04-04-2009 03:32 PM
I am taking shears with me next time Dave. JIM
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice Heron shots. Things are thawing finally so I will be able to get out soon and hopefully get some Heron shots around here. In my experience they aren't easy birds to get close to and I have had them fly off as soon as they see me which more often than not it was before I saw them.
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nice Heron shots. Things are thawing finally so I will be able to get out soon and hopefully get some Heron shots around here. In my experience they aren't easy birds to get close to and I have had them fly off as soon as they see me which more often than not it was before I saw them.
So true! The Heron's don't like to see you any closer then 50 feet. I have shot some 10-12 feet away this year. It took a lot of time to set up for the shot. JIM