Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

G20 London Protests
Posted By: Trojan_Llama, 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM

1st April 2009 at the Bank of England. Police 'kettled' protesters for eight hours - I escaped after less than 3 hours. In that time, I saw no violence - the kettle boiled later. I used a Pentax K110D with two MF lenses - a SMC-Pentax 50 mmm F1:1.7 and a 28mm f1:2.8:

I could go on...

More photos uploaded here
Views: 3,406
04-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
Damn Brit

Just in case anyone hasn't, follow the Flickr link, these shots have much more impact with the associated comments.

04-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #17
Igilligan

What a great series... I have not seen any better IMHO... I stand in awe of your skills and awareness.

I also feel ashamed at my myself and my fellow Americans, as I sit here posting blurry pictures of flowers, spending too much time discussing the latest pentax rumors... meanwhile we are still fighting two wars and now propping up a failed economic system with our children and grandchildrens future, and you hear barely a whimper of protest.

We have the right to remain silent... and we do.
04-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the bold and beautiful reporting!!!!!!
04-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #19

Original Poster
I just want to thank everyone for their kind comments. On the technical side, I kept my gear light - just a K110D, with two manual focus primes. I don't want to make this a political thread, as this is a photography forum, but some points are relevant.

On that day, a 47 year old man died. He was a local, caught up in the police net, in the wrong place at the wrong time. In the official Police account, relayed by the popular media, there was no contact between police officers and this man previous to their valiant efforts at rescuing him, when it was reported that the protesters did nothing but threw missiles at the victim and the Police medics. Despite the Police and CCTV filming every square inch of the protest, they apparently had no evidence of previous contact.

However, independent witnesses claimed that they saw the man being assaulted by police officers on more than one occasion. They claim that initially protesters came to his aid, not police officers, and that only one missile was thrown - by someone who thought that it was another baton charge.

This is amateur footage of an attack on the man who collapsed minutes later, and died. The Police did not try to enact their powers to stop photography that day, but what about next time? Then who will supply the evidence? Keep on taking photos.

04-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are really great pictures you have here!! Great job!
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #21
Forum Member

Those are fantastic pictures.

I'm glad that there are real people with cameras at these times to capture the horrible "accidents" that the popular press and police "photographers" somehow always miss...
04-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that is indeed great photojournalism - such emotion in those shots. You captured the mood well.

04-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These coyuld be in print on any news paper. They feel fresh and old at the saame time.. I love the violin player the best though they are all great! JIM