Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Easter procession in Spain
Posted By: juanraortiz, 04-10-2009, 09:54 AM

These are taken in my town. In another parts of Spain they are bigger and touristic, with thousands of people in the streets. Basically, the catholic believers who belong to a botherhood (the hooded ones) carry a sculture representing one scene from Christīs Passion. The different brotherhoods go round some streets, slowly, with sad music. Itīs very emotive for the believers and some of them cry. They use to do this processions at night. This one was in the sunset so you can see the movement due to the slow speed of the Exif and probably some noise. Sorry for my english

Last edited by juanraortiz; 04-15-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Views: 1,683
04-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
More pics from the same procession

Last edited by juanraortiz; 04-15-2009 at 07:17 AM.
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Very cool!

c[_]
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very moving! Public religious processions are a rarity in the U.S., so your pictures are a special treat.

Tell me, what is the meaning of the hoods? In the U.S., hoods of that kind carry a specific, unpleasant meaning. They are associated with the Ku Klux Klan. Why the KKK chose that design is a mystery to me.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-10-2009 at 10:25 AM.
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Iīll try to explain in english why they are hooded. This processions started in the Middle Age. Then, some sins meant a physical penance, like lashes. And they had to execute this punishment in the Easter. The sinner cover his face to avoid his neighbours knew he sinned and what sin he did. Today, in some brotherhoods, (not in my town) some members lashes themselves to pay for a favor they ask to God or a Saint, like to cure a relative. In The Philippines this rites are specially cruel.
04-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
Iīll try to explain in english why they are hooded. This processions started in the Middle Age. Then, some sins meant a physical penance, like lashes. And they had to execute this punishment in the Easter. The sinner cover his face to avoid his neighbours knew he sinned and what sin he did. Today, in some brotherhoods, (not in my town) some members lashes themselves to pay for a favor they ask to God or a Saint, like to cure a relative. In The Philippines this rites are specially cruel.
That explanation makes sense. The hood allows all that take part for whatever reason (penance, devotion, or duty) to do so as an anonymous equal with the other participants. Very good.

Steve
04-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very moving! Public religious processions are a rarity in the U.S., so your pictures are a special treat.

Tell me, what is the meaning of the hoods? In the U.S., hoods of that kind carry a specific, unpleasant meaning. They are associated with the Ku Klux Klan. Why the KKK chose that design is a mystery to me.

Steve
first very interesting pictures.

and for Steve you should come to new york. almost every church ,Catholic, protestants, and Jewish passover all have some sort of street presentation.

obviously in a country with so many religions you have to be more considerate .
Good Friday have a bloody reputation threw out history of anti Semitism and racist acts and as you said these costumes in America would be very unpleasant to say the least to a lot of people. so its actually pretty to see in NY how all the communities working together and respecting each other. makes me love this city even more.

BTW I am my self more of an atheist but I always love to see religion ceremonies form all over the world. its always such a great photographic subject

04-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice series. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the cultural explanation. Much enjoyed.