Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pics with Tokina M28 2.8
Posted By: Arjay Bee, 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM

I had lots of opportunity to explore the lowlight potential of this lens on my DL2on a recent trip.

My daughter against a net curtain on a window:

My Son same light source as above:

The Esplanade Pool at Cairns Queensland

This is the RMC II screwmount version. Note the magenta shade that shows up from the halogen lights from the water reflection. This is a lens aberration not so present in the actual scene and probably is caused by the non SMC coating.
Views: 1,584
04-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
db2

great shots

Seems that purple fringing is very common indeed, I think all of the older lenses have the problem on digital slr's, at least all of my older lenses do to some degree. Did you use a card to reflect light back on the shot of your daughter? Nicely posed and exposed
04-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Re purple fringeing I read just the other day a comment that water reflections aggravate the situation.

Both subjects were looking at a laptop screen and there was very little light coming from inside the room. Some reflection off the table surface though. Both kids are used to having a camera in their faces :-). More often than not they are doing the picture taking as they are keen recorders of all their friends and activities. Thankyou for the comment.

Gisborne, NZ? My mother was from there.
04-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the portrait of your son. The daughter is nice too, but I'm not a fan of that kind of almost soft portraiture, just me not the photo. To be truthful I would not have noticed the magenta cast to the lights if you hadn't mentioned it, I've actually seen lights that have that magenta cast. Good photo.

NaCl(it's not the usual "purple fringing" that I'm used to seeing)H2O

04-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Arjay, the first 2 shots using window light are really nicely done. The soft focus in the first one really brings out your daughter's inner peace and the second photo reveals beautiful skin tone and well exposed shot
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
db2

Gisborne, NZ

Yes indeed RJ, we are in Mangapapa, Ormond Rd, and loving it!!
04-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

last two shots are in a league of their own. I'm loving how you made aswimming pool look like a petrol forecourt! (gas station). A great look.. great colours/depth...

04-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, guys. I will pass them on to my kids as well.

Christian, the mixture of aqua and magenta colouring adds to the gas station forecourt impression as well. Hadn't noticed the similarity till you pointed it out .